Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Racing to the Door

Racing to the Door--

It was a Saturday morning.  The place where I banked closed at noon sharp.  I had only a few minutes to get there before the doors were locked.

As I pulled into the parking lot, another vehicle whipped into a parking space next to mine.  It was obvious the person driving that car was also aware that there were only minutes to spare.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her open the car door and head for the building.  At the same moment I did the same.  The race was on.  I could feel myself trying to beat her to the door.  Whichever one of us got there first would be waited on first.  It was a subtle race.  A quickening of the pace.  Yet, the heart was pounding in those few seconds it took to arrive at the door.

She beat me.  She flung the door open and raced inside.  I was in a snit thinking she could have at least held the door for me.  She knew that I was behind her.  Evidently she had no sense of grace or caring for another human being.

I got in line behind her.  And then there it was.  Revenge.  All I had to do was allow it to happen.  Normally I am a very sensitive person ready to help anyone.  This woman in front of me--did she deserve my caring spirit?

You see, there was a huge tag sticking up almost to her neck.  I stood behind her and looked at it for quite a few seconds.  The choice was mine.  Would I allow her to be out and about in public with that tag up to her neck?  Or would I take my hand and tuck it into her sweater.  She deserved to be seen in public like that, didn't she?

Then I saw my hand reach up and tuck it in.  She turned and thanked me.  She said she was in a terrible hurry.  Her mother was ill and she needed to get to her right away.  She knew she had only a few minutes to spare and so she hurried to the bank.  There was saddness in her eyes and gratitude that I had taken care of her.  No doubt her mind was on much more important things that morning.  She probably really wasn't aware of me at all.

Did I feel humbled?  Did I feel about an inch tall?  Did I get a lesson in caring?   Yes, to all three.  In just a few short minutes I learned again that we do have choices.  Some appear to be small while other loom large.  However,  the small ones can make such a difference in another person's life.

Lesson learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment