Friday, May 20, 2016

Shopping, Shopping, Shopping


Shopping, Shopping, Shopping


  Daffodil Lane has kept me running.  Something leaves the shop.  Something comes in. Shopping, shopping, shopping.  Near and far.  In state and out. Searching for the right items is challenging.  Who would want this?  What group would this appeal to?  Questions.  Questions. Questions.  Take one thing.  Leave another.  Did I make the right decision?  Miles on the truck.  Miles on me.

Am I complaining?  Not one bit.  You see, when you set your mind to achieve a dream, all the work is part of the process.   The cost is counted before the action begins.  Actually, it is a huge learning curve.  Forms must be filed, numbers granted by the state.  Space located.  Weeks pass as more work is done.  Painting, cleaning.  Bringing in the items for sale comes close to last.

Opening day arrives.  With no idea if anyone will grace the doors, it opens.  There is a sense of accomplishment.  The dream-reality.  People give warnings.  They say things like they hope it works. They hope it isn't a failure.  Most offer positive encouragement.  Interesting the take on other's dreams.

Here is what I think about the failure comment.  Failure occurs when a dream remains a dream.  There is absolutely no opportunity to fail when nothing is attempted.  To be fair, not all people are wired to take risks.  The absolute fear that would accompany risk keeps some rooted in their present spot.  I get that.  Personally, I applaud those who take risks, and those who don't.  It's not a good/bad thing.

Failure?  Never gave that a thought.  When I look around at my little shop, I celebrate all the hours and hours of planning.  Time spent engaged with other people who also had a dream and worked to see it become their reality. All the conversations with other women who never stop moving forward brings me joy.  They reach out for that next adventure.  They embrace all that a new thing brings.  And when that part of life is passed, they move on.  You see, nothing is forever.

  Already I have met wonderful people.  People who came to shop and stayed to talk.  To visit about life and things that have real meaning.  To say that success is measured by the amount of money banked at the end of a work day misses the point.  Certainly it is necessary to pay all the bills.  And have money left over to do that endless shopping.  However, the real value in this for me is the ability to help others make their homes and lives better.  To make their homes a place of refuge from life.  It is also about valuing each person who walks through the doors of Daffodil Lane.  To see each one as a new friend.  To learn.  To listen.

Even when no one is shopping, I feel a sense of pride in the knowledge that my husband and I created something new from nothing.  We are a team. We work together.  We took an idea and ran with it.  I am so proud of us for not giving up when we had hurdles to cross.  We kept moving forward toward the dream.  And now it is here.

I am writing this in my little shop.  It is quiet.  I am surrounded by pretty things.  It makes my heart smile to know that maybe someone will come in and find that one or two things that will make their heart smile, too.

Was it worth it?  Absolutely.  You bet.  As with all things in life, it will have its day.  And while it has that day, I will enjoy every minute.




No comments:

Post a Comment