Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pay It Forward

Pay It Forward--

So, having been the recipient of coffee at a drive thru window, I thought it would be great to return the favor and pay it forward.  It never occurred to me that it could cause so many challenges.  I giggle when I think of "pay it forward" gone bad!

I was in the drive thru lane at a fast food chain.  It seemed like a great opportunity to do a kindness for another person.  So, when I was paying for my food, I told the person in the window that I was paying for the car behind.  She had this "I have no idea what you are saying" look on her face.  After a little explanation, she got the idea and took my money for my order and the car behind.

You would think all was well at that point.  Orders were in and payment was made.  Next step was to drive to the window where they hand out the food and drive away.  Not so fast, lady!

When I drove to the food window, the person was very confused.  She tried to give me the order for the car behind me.  I told her what my order really was.  She went looking.  Eventually she returned and asked a series of questions about the orders.  Was I out of turn in the drive thru?  Exactly what had I ordered?  What about this other order?  I could see frustration mounting.  How could this be so mixed up?

After more discussion she agreed with me about whose food was in which sack.  She handed mine through the window, and I drove away--quickly.  What must those poor folks in the car behind me be thinking, I wondered.  While they were getting treated to free food, they had waited a loooooong time to receive it.

Will I do that again?  Probably not at a fast food chain.  It is too confusing for those working inside.  They are used to a specific routine, and my act of kindness threw that routine out the window.  Even now I laugh when I think of that day.

But I haven't given up on the idea of paying it forward.  No, I haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment