Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Plan--Wild and Precious?

A Plan--Wild and Precious?


"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"  A quote from Oliver's poem "The Summer Day"

A great question for us to consider no matter the stage of life.  There truly are no do- overs in our life.  We get one shot.  So, perhaps a plan or lack of a plan does matter.

When I was in high school, the plan was to find my life work and go for it.  During those years the opportunities for girls was limited to teaching, nursing or being a secretary.  Many of my friends choose to be moms and raise families.  No one thought about being an attorney or doctor.  No one thought about running a business unless it was a hair cutting business or a dress shop.  

I wasn't ready for marriage, cutting hair held no interest, nursing was frightening.  My choices were between teaching and secretarial work.  I decided to be a secretary.  I enrolled in all the business classes available.  They were enjoyable.  I especially enjoyed taking dictation.  We had to learn shorthand and take dictation--can't remember how many words a minute. I liked all the symbols.  But somewhere along the way, my plan changed.

For a reason I don't remember, I took a few education classes.  I was hooked.  It was so much more interesting to work with children than to sit at those machines and type.  It was challenging.  I changed my major and concentrated on learning all I could about teaching.  Was it wild?  No.  It was rewarding.  Seeing the light go on in a child's eyes was so exciting.  I would be a teacher.

Before graduation I had a teaching position.  A principal came to me and asked me if I would take a job as a third grade teacher.  Would I??  He didn't have to ask twice.  I graduated mid-year.  The job started in January.  There was about a week between finishing classes and starting my first teaching position.

And then came marriage and a move.  Those business courses came in handy as I used them when we moved mid-year, and I lost my teaching job.  A new plan.

A son was born.  I became a stay-at-home mom until he was ready for kindergarten.  That was a precious time and a new plan for our family.  Eventually, I returned to teaching.  

There are many detours along the road in this wild and precious life.  Everyone needs a dose of wild in their life.  It will look different for each of us, but having a little wild keeps life interesting.  Doing the unexpected is always fun for me.  

All lives are precious.  A baby is precious.  A teen is precious.  A college person is precious.  A homeless person is precious.  A mom/dad are precious.  Grandparents are precious. Friends are precious. A spouse or partner is precious.  We may not always agree with others, but we can agree that our lives are gifts and gifts are fun.  Even precious.  

Do we see that we are each precious to someone?  Do we treat one another with kindness and care?  It is often a challenge to see "precious" in someone we are angry with.  Maybe we are having a disagreement.  Precious is not a word we would use to describe the person on the other end of that disagreement.   Yet, that might be the very time they need to know that they are cherished.  It takes great strength of character to stop and appreciate another person.

Wild doesn't always mean being reckless.  It can mean whatever you need it to mean.  Taking a convertible ride with the top down when it is snowing might be wild to some.   Riding a zip line when you are a grandmother could be considered wild.  We throw that word around as if it is something bad. Out of the ordinary could be another definition.  

We get one shot at this thing.   There comes a day when we all look back and see who we were.  Do we want to see a bit of "wild?"  What do we hope our life has been?  It is never too late to start over.  To do the thing that has nagged at the soul for years.  It is never too late as long as there is breath.

What is your plan for this one life?  I am still planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment