Sunday, April 27, 2014

Security Systems

Security Systems--

"Answer the knock on your door," the voice on the other end of the telephone ordered.  So I did.

That order came as a result of our security system sending an alarm to the police department.  It wasn't the first time our alarm system did that.  In fact, it was the third time.  At least we know the thing works.

Following the instructions, I did answer the door.  A young policeman with a flashlight greeted me.  It was around 2AM.  I had been watching a television program. As he entered the house, he told me he had seen me through the window.  He said I had a bottle of water in my hand.  I think he told me that to let me know that anyone could have walked up my driveway and seen inside my house.  He made his point.

I assured him we were fine.  And I thanked him for taking the time to check in on us.

The time before that the wind blew a door open, and the alarm went off.  I received a call on my cell informing me that police were in my house.  We hurried home.

When we arrived, they told us they had been through the house.  Did I make the bed?  Was dirty underwear on the floor?  Did we cap the toothpaste?  Were there dirty dishes in the sink?  It really didn't matter as they had already been through the house.  In the process of going room to room, they found the open door and guessed the wind had blown it open.  They were correct.

Before they left, they also told us several things they noticed that we should change.  We were grateful for their careful attention to our home.

It makes me a little sad to know that we live in a world where security systems are needed.  Years ago we had a key hanging on a nail just inside a closet door in the entry.  Everyone knew where it was.  People who stopped out here would sometimes use the key to enter our house.  Several times we found notes on our kitchen counter telling us who had been out.  We never felt threatened that someone would enter our home to do harm.

Over the years that feeling of security changed.  Farms were vandalized.  Houses were broken into.  And finally we made the decision to at least make it a little more difficult for someone to enter our house uninvited.  It took me quite awhile to be comfortable with the system.  Now I arm it each time I leave, and when we go to bed at night.

I tell myself it is smart to understand the times we live in and take precautions.  But, it still makes me sad that life has changed so much.

Be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment