Thursday, March 19, 2015

Grateful For It All

Grateful For It All--

There are times in life that make one want to sing and dance for absolute joy.  Times that make one giggle, smile and even laugh out loud.  Times when the soul feels such joy it can hardly be contained within the body.  Times when peace floods the whole being.   That is a picture of my life during the recent past.

We have been in the Pacific Northwest for the past two months.  This area is known for rain especially during winter.  People go anyway.  They put on raincoats and brave the showers.  They know that this beautiful place must have lots of liquid sunshine to remain so lush.  So, they accept that for a few months rain will visit often.  This winter has been the exception.  This winter has been filled with sunshine, warm temperatures, and little rain.  That is not a particularly good thing for the area.  But, I am only one among many who have enjoyed it to the fullest.  From flowers to blossoming trees-it has been wonderful.

I have enjoyed quality time with people.  Some I have known for awhile.  Others who are new to my circle of friends.  Each has brought a new dimension to my life.  Each has given me the gift of their time.  We have talked over coffee, over lunch and over dinner.  We have visited about different cultures and different ways of believing.  We have discussed life and where it might take us.  And that sometimes things don't work out like we planned.  All of this is simply life happening.  When we open ourselves to listen and learn from others, we walk away with new understanding.  I am so grateful for each experience I have had during this two month stay.

Facebook opened the door for two of my students from this area to touch base after more years than I care to count.  I have enjoyed their friendship to the max.  One took us on a mountain hike. The other is taking me to dinner in Portland.  From each I learn much and see life from their point of view.  I am beyond blessed to share a small portion of time with them.

You know, in life you lose a few along the way.  That is also life happening.  Some stay for a little bit.  Some stay forever.  It is just the way it is.  We all have choice.  Occasionally someone moves that choice along, and we have to decide if it is ok with us.  Actually, it is probably a good thing as relationships can have not only a beginning but also an ending.  Endings can be the best thing.  Especially when nothing positive can be found.  Hanging on just to hang on is kinda goofy.

Soon we will board the plane that will carry us across this wonderful land back to our home.  I will experience a deep sense of loss.  There will be tears.  I will try to capture memories and hold them close.  And finally, I will let go and be home.  Home with friends and family that I love very much.  People who have been dear to me for many years.  While I won't be able to be at the coast in an hour or to the mountains in an hour, I will be among those I share relationship with.  Those who are special beyond words.

Would love to share more, but it is time to get dressed and make this day something to remember.  I hope that your day is precious, too.


2 comments:

  1. You have blessed in more ways than you will ever know!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing to say, Farm Boy!

    ReplyDelete