Wednesday, March 11, 2015

You Just Never Know

You Just Never Know--

The doorbell rang.  Shutting off the vaccuum, I walked to the door.

We have been visiting my favorite place for almost two months.  We have hiked mountain trails, beside the ocean waves, up small mountains.  We have seen movies and attended plays. We have spent time talking over a plate of cheese and salmon while enjoying a bottle of wine.  We have enjoyed clam chowder at our favorite restaurant sitting next to a window facing the Pacific Ocean.  This is the short list.

We drove hours to visit a new friend at the Kalama Indian Nation in Washington state.  We met Haver outside that favorite restaurant.  He and his friend were standing on the sidewalk talking.  Because of their long black braids I knew they were from some tribe or nation.  So, I asked.  From that short conversation came the opportunity to visit their reservation and learn about their culture.

We listened as the coffee shop owner shared her story with us.  It was a story of faith that she could achieve what her heart desired.  Amazing woman.  We listened as our friends shared their hopes and dreams.  I listened as my friend shared the challenges his mother is experiencing now that she is unable to care for herself.  This is also the short list.

We met Dave and his dog Annie in front of our condo.  Annie is a Portuguese Water Dog.  She is big and black and loves to greet people.  She was talking her owner, Dave, for a walk when we met them.  Dave, his wife and Annie are staying two doors down from us.  They are relocating to the Pacific Northwest from South Carolina.  Looking for a house.  Ready to purchase.  In a few minutes we learned much.

We learned they had looked at several homes but none fit their list of criteria.   As he talked, I ran down his list in my mind.  And an idea began to form.  Several years ago we owned a second home here in this city.  We sold it to a lovely couple.

Lynn, the new owner, and I became friends.  We have stayed in touch.   Lynn and her husband enjoy flipping homes.  They took our home, made it better and eventually sold it.  Recently we had visited via Facebook, and I knew they had almost completed the work on their new home.  Hence the idea of a home that might work for Dave, Sharon and Annie.  After visiting with Lynn, I gave her information to Dave.

 Opening the door, I was greeted by Annie who gave me numerous kisses.  She is such a lovable dog.  After she settled down, Dave told me they had seen the house.  He said they took a tape measure with them.  He said they spent three hours with Lynn and Charlie.  And then he said they bought the house.  It was perfect for them.  Their search for a home ended when they walked through Lynn's house. He was all smiles.  So was I.

What a trip this has been.  So many wonderful things have happened.  I think that happens when we open our hearts and lives to others.  When we think about what we are hearing and realize we can learn or help.  When we share ourselves with new folks.  These new experiences become part of us.  They remind us that we are all connected.  We are part of the whole.

Still smiling from ear to ear, I thanked Dave for sharing their good news with me.  In a month they will move into their lovely new home.  They will begin a new life adventure.  How exciting for them.

 Our time here is almost over.  Soon we will return to our home.  All that we experienced will reside in my memory bank.  From time to time I will make a withdrawal from that bank and relive a moment.  One very special moment will be the day I opened the door and greeted Dave and Annie.  Knowing I had a small part in helping a couple find their new home makes my heart smile.  Yes, it does.








No comments:

Post a Comment