Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cabin Fever, Anyone?

Cabin Fever, Anyone?

A week ago we were serving dinner at Safe Harbor.  The food was good, the people were friendly and kind, the evening was very rewarding.  It was close to the end of the serving time when I began to feel less than the best.  Felt a bit tired.  Recognized that a cough was making its ugly appearance.  We hurried home.

That marked the beginning of a miserable week.  Finally made a trip to the doctor.  He diagnosed it as the flu.  Now I must confess something.  Before I do, let me say that it was my intention to take care of things.  But each time I was in town on an errand run or meeting a friend, I would forget.  Why didn't I make that list and check it twice?

Yes, I forgot to get the shot.  I don't know if failure to get the shot resulted in me getting the flu, or if I would have gotten it anyway.  At this point it doesn't really matter.  What does matter is I am anxious to return to that wonderful feeling of good health.  A low grade fever, a constant cough,  headaches and achy body have been my constant companions.  The cough has been the worse part of the total package.  It has kept me from sleep.  My new bed is the family room sofa.  It is just the right size.  It has become my bed of choice.  Stacked with pillows and blankets it has been my special spot this past week.  I am hoping all of that is coming to an end.

Not much to do when one feels so yucky.  I did, however, find myself wandering from room to room taking inventory of how things needed to change.  You see, I find real creative release in keeping our home nest as comfortable and inviting as it can be.  Once I had the inventory done, I went to work thinking about new placement of furniture and art pieces.  Didn't do any physical work until days later.

On the first day of feeling more like a human, I began the physical part.  Well, maybe I wasn't the one who actually did the moving!  He is so good at things like this.  How much fun to realize that a piece of furniture that was for sale now has a home in our house!  Love it when that happens.  We spent an afternoon slowly moving things sometimes only inches.  Yes, he is a patient man.  The end result is a room that is much more pleasing.  Besides, there was nothing else to do--well, there is the unfinished part of the basement that looks like a total disaster.  I need a few more days of rest before we tackle that.

Being inside because of illness and now because of weather hasn't been all bad.  Usually by now I would be leaving scratch marks on walls--you get my drift.  This time I have found things that need to be done that I am actually willing to do.  We have a couple of days left before the weather breaks. It will be good to see what we can accomplish during this indoor time.  Cabin fever has been less of a challenge so far.  However, I can see that my tolerance for being inside is coming to an end.   I hope the storms and cabin fever end about the same time.  That would be a good thing for our marriage!

So, how is your fever coming along?  It isn't because we dislike our homes that we find ourselves sick with this terrible affliction.  It is because we can't leave.  We don't like to be held hostage by anything especially the weather.  We like the freedom to get in our buggy and hit the road  We like to drive through all the drive thru's of choice and fill ourselves with junk.  We like to feel the road beneath us.  We like to be in motion.  And now we can't.

Don't know how you will fill your time, but I will fill mine with a bit of cleaning, and bit of tv, and bit of writing, a bit of rest.  I want to be up to the task of getting in the car and driving away listening to my favorite radio station once that day arrives.  I think I best get more than a bit of rest.  That first day out maybe quite an experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment