Monday, January 20, 2014

Competition--Positive or Negative?

Competition--Positive or Negative?

When you think of the word competition, what comes into your mind?  Do you think about sporting events?  I would venture a guess that many people equate competition with sports.  Two teams meet with the outcome being one is victorious.  Scores are kept.  Observers select sides and cheer for their team.  Everyone knows this is a competition.  Positive or negative?

Competition is present at the work place, also.  Moving up the corporate ladder means people often compete for positions.  Maybe a person accepts extra assignments with the hope that those in control of their fate will notice their effort.  This person is willing to accept the criticism of the group in order to advance.  Is this a negative thing?  Certainly some people see it that way.  However, it could be these people would rather be critical of others than take the chance of moving outside their comfort zone.

Siblings experience competition within the family structure.  It is not unusual to hear brothers and sisters speak of their siblings as a parent's favorite.  Sometimes this is couched in laughter, but the message is loud and clear.  They honestly believe that one child is loved more than the others.  Truthfully, some children are easy.  They are agreeable and accept direction from parents.  Others are more demanding or quarrelsome.  Naturally those who exhibit these traits and others like these, find themselves in hot water more often than the compliant child.  It probably does appear that the parent loves one more than the other.  These feelings have the potential to divide families.

The business world is alive with competition.  It drives the market.  One fast food chain competes with another by advertising its products in the most appealing light possible.  Furniture stores offer no financing for years and years in an attempt to bring customers into their store.  Grocery stores give coupons to anyone shopping in their aisles.  Even banks get into the mix.  Competition is everywhere.  The consumer makes decisions on what to purchase based on comparison shopping.  Is this positive or negative?

States compete with one another for vacation dollars.  The sunshine states compete for retirees and their second homes.  We could go on and on with this, couldn't we?  And I haven't even touched on the way countries compete with one another.

Is it possible that competition has both a negative and positive definition?  Competition has been part of the human experience since the beginning.  I bet cave men tried to out-do their fellow tribesmen by bringing in the biggest kill or building the best fire.  It is just the way we are wired.  However, it is also possible that we can take this too far.  If we deliberately mow another person down to achieve our own goals, that might be viewed as a very negative behavior.

There is no end to this discussion.  Using competition in a responsible way can be very positive.  Often I find myself competing with myself.  I look at my past accomplishments and believe that I can do better.  That serves me well.  It means I realize that there is room for growth, and I am willing to take the necessary steps to make that growth happen.  When I compete with another person, I never grow.  I believe the reason I do not progress is because my eyes are on another's accomplishments and not on my potential.

A little something to think about on a cold winter afternoon!




No comments:

Post a Comment