Saturday, June 1, 2013

#48


#48--

Forty-eight years ago today I married the guy on a neighboring farm.   We were friends throughout our elementary and high school years.  However, we didn't date until I was teaching, and he was completing his degree.

We both knew our friendship was long term.  When we were growing up, we picked on one another all the time.  It was fun to dump all his pennies and run like heck to my house.  Fun until he caught me, dragged me back and made me pick them all up.  All the time his mother was watching and laughing.   His dad told me that he always knew we would end up together.

Forty-eight years is a long time to do anything.  In those years we have lived in many places and met many people.  We have gone through difficult times and extremely happy times.  We have experienced births, deaths, illness.   We have enjoyed times with friends and family.   Looking back I can honestly say it has been wonderful.

If I am honest, I must include that there have been some hard moments.  That happens in all relationships.  We have disagreed on many things.  Sometimes we were able to compromise.  Other times we were not.  Unkind words have been spoken within the walls of our house.  But, we are quick to apologize and move on.  We have shared common goals.  I think that is such an important part of lasting relationships.  That doesn't mean that we are together all the time, or that we  have the exact same interests.  We don't.  It means we respect that each of us has certain activities we enjoy.  We know it is healthy for each of us to pursue our own interests.  But, on the big decisions of life, we are partners.

I cannot remember a time I didn't know him.  I have watched him grow from a boy into a young man.  And now into the "more mature years" of our life.  I have loved him every step of that journey.

What makes a strong marriage?  I have no definition.  It depends on each couple, and their goals for life.  Communication certainly plays a huge role in a lasting relationship of any type.  Maybe more so in a marriage.  There is no place to run to when things get tough.  You have to stay and work through the conflict or differences.

Besides communication, showing affection ranks right up there.  In the day-to-day of life, it can become easy to forget to give a hug or a kiss.  A certain look.  Life wears people down.  That partner in life should be our strength.  The one place we feel safe and loved.

Enough about our life.  I wish for each of you lasting relationships.  Ones that grow and change over time yet never lose the magic that was there at the beginning.  We have held on to the magic.  Sometimes it gets a bit tarnished.  When that happens, we take it off the shelf, polish it and start over.

Happy anniversary to each of you when that day comes around.




No comments:

Post a Comment