Monday, June 9, 2014

$1600-Really?

$1600-Really?

I have a few watches.  Some are funky.  I even have a Mickey Mouse watch that is quite a few years old.  I have a couple that are really cool.  But there is a problem with them all.  The face on each one has shrunk through the years.  I am sure that is what has happened.  There was a time when I could read the numbers or the dots or whatever on the face of each one.  Well, that is not happening anymore.  So, the watches must have gone through a change.  That's all I can figure out.

Last week I decided it was time to purchase a new watch.  One that I could be assured would not change sizes on me.  I made sure of that and purchased one with a large face.  It had a white background.  It even had the date--but that was a little small.  I decided on this particular watch after I  tried on numerous others.  I went from case to case trying to find one that looked like me.  In case you are wondering what that look is, the best way to describe it is classy!:)

I wanted a two toned watch band.  I tend to mix my metals.  Never did understand the reasoning behind wearing only one type of metal.  Having a gold and silver colored band was imperative.  Well, that proved a challenge.  It seems that the group in charge of watch bands decided that rose gold would be the color of choice.  Who are these people, anyway?  Who makes the decision about what we will wear?  For that matter, who makes the decision about clothes and paint and cars?  There are some powerful folks out there who have no clue what we really like.  I quickly eliminated the rose gold.  It maybe the "in" thing for some, but it is the "out" thing for me.

In one case I found the perfect watch.  It was the right size.  The band was two colored.  The face was white, and it felt good on my arm.  How exciting to find the right one.  I told the salesperson that I would take it.  She told me to follow her to the next register.  Once there she brought out the box.  The box itself was a work of art.  She punched in some numbers on the register, and then told me the price.

Now, I am usually good at hiding surprise.  I try to go with the flow.  This time I am afraid I failed.  The price she quoted was over $1600.00.  Yes, that is right.  It was over that amount.  Trying to contain my alarm and not wishing to appear cheap, I told her I must have read the tag incorrectly.  That is when I learned a new thing.  The face was one price, and the band was another.  She said this particular manufacturer wanted to give everyone a choice of which band to put on which face.  So they are priced separately.  My goodness.  All I wanted was a watch.  Not the down payment on a car.

A choice was involved.  I could pay for it and walk out, or I could decline and look again.  I chose the latter.  Back to the cases.  Found a watch for $135.  It has gold(fake) trim around the white face and a silver colored mesh band.  I liked it immediately.  Back to the register.  This time with a watch I could wear without having security with me at all times.

Out the door and on my way-I was pretty pleased with myself for my decision.  While it would have been fun to have the other one, this one  was just fine.  However, my pleasure in my purchase was shortlived.

Within the next three or four days the watch fell off my arm seven times.  Maybe more than seven but I stopped counting.  So, today I took it back.  The salesperson was very sorry.  Did they have another one just like it that might stay on me?  After looking they located one.

I left the store with the watch on my arm and the receipt and box in a bag just in case.  Shopping is always an adventure.  And a learning curve!

No comments:

Post a Comment