Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Being Cold, Being Hungry, Being Me

Being Cold, Being Hungry, Being Me--

It is very cold outside.

My usual response to the cold would be that it is that time of year, and we all should expect it.  Or I might respond with something a little less gentle. This is November in the Midwest.  It is like this every year!

We forget.  In the blush of spring and the heat of summer, we romp and play.  We turn on air conditioners and fans.  Coats and scarves are moved to the back of our minds and closets.  And while they are in the back corner of our closets,  they are plotting against us.  They know that soon we will be reaching for them.  They know that their time of rest is almost over.  Maybe as they wait,  they anticipate the rush of cold they will soon experience.  They will do the job they were designed to do, and we will all stay warm against the blasts of cold.  They know that even though we ignore them for a period of time, they will be needed.  So they wait.  Maybe with a smug look on their faces--if they have faces.

Ok.  It is cold, and we are warm.  But, others aren't so lucky.  Maybe we have the attitude that it isn't about luck.  Maybe our beliefs are that we planned well.  We worked at a job that provided us with more than enough funds to have warm coats and homes.  We deserve to be warm in winter and cool in summer.  We earned what we have.  Absolutely.  I agree that many of us did work hard for many years.  We paid our dues.  We followed the rules.  However, a nagging thought that returns to me is why did my life turn out well, and other lives didn't.  Is it a result of my upbringing that taught I must work for what I desire?  Is it due to the fact that I borrowed money to go to college so that I could have a career and provide for myself?  Is it possible that I have been given opportunities while others haven't?  Or did I make those opportunities happen?  Did I know the right person who recognized talent or promise in me?  Did that person pave my way?

My truth is none of us walk this walk totally independent of others.  We all need help.  Most of us received employment because of someone we knew or from a recommendation of someone we knew.  We relied on the kindness and trust of others to help us secure that job we so desired.  That first job became the springboard for the next move up.  That move up came after we proved ourselves to be ready for the next step.  It is the way it works.

If this truly is the way the world works, then what about all those who have no one to see their worth?  How do we explain away their lack of success?   How do we justify being warm and full while others are cold and hungry?  I do understand what you are thinking.  But, what if they never had a chance at a better life?  What separates people?  More important,  what can we do to change this?

I am thankful for organizations that see human need and set about to help.  I am thankful for churches that assist food pantries so that no one will be hungry. I am thankful for the people who see their calling to be making sure everyone has enough.  What does enough look like?  I know what more than enough looks like.

Since we all need one another, it seems so appropriate that we reach out to others and offer coats and food and shelter.  Some find themselves needing assistance due to our economy.  Jobs were lost and not found.  How humbling to need help with the basics of life.  I don't think it matters why.  If someone needs a coat, there should be one available.  If someone needs food, food should be there for them.  Judging others and their situations is an ugly way to live.  Would we want someone to make a decision about our need based on their personal beliefs?

Once I started writing, this took on its own life.  It went in a direction I had not planned.  Perhaps that is a good thing.  Perhaps I needed to be reminded that many are not warm.  Many are hungry.  Many are worried about where the next meal will be found.  Many wish for a better life but don't know how to make that happen.  To be honest with you, sometimes I worry that I am not being the person I should be.  If I truly am the keeper of others,  what am I doing to help?  It is a difficult question.  It seems so easy, but in reality it is not easy at all.  I fear I insulate myself from seeing the distress of others.  Wish I had not started this!

You know how a rock thrown into a pool of water make ripples?  Helping others is like that.  We help, and we feel warm.  We want that feeling again so we help again.  And each time we reach beyond our front doors and into the big world, we make that ripple a little wider.  Each time we offer ourselves,  that ripple extends beyond our knowing.  Maybe we inspired another person to cast a rock into the pool of water.  I think it is in the goodness and kindness of people that change occurs.  You and I going about doing the good we can do makes this world so much better for so many--including ourselves.

Ok--I am done with this.  But not really.









No comments:

Post a Comment