Thursday, November 28, 2013

Stores Open on Thanksgiving--Good or Bad?

Stores Open on Thanksgiving--Good or Bad?

Some people are upset.  Traditionally, this day has been the day for families and friends to gather and enjoy a home cooked meal.  It has been a time to watch football.  It has been a time to take a walk to ward off the groggy feeling that arrives around 3 PM.  It has been that one time of the year when we visit with those we love but see occasionally.  It has been celebrated as a family day.

It still is.  So why are some folks upset?

Some businesses made the decision to open on Thanksgiving Day.  In addition, they decided to run sales on the merchandise most wanted by shoppers.  Saving money is at the top of everyone's list during the biggest shopping season of the year as is getting what they want at a fair price.  It looked like a win/win.  Besides, people who work have limited time to shop for those on their list.  How could this be a bad thing?

When we travel over holidays, we appreciate gas stations and fast food businesses that remain open.  It is comforting to know that hotels and motels are ready to greet travelers.  Some resorts advertise holiday weekend specials which include lodging and a Thanksgiving meal.  Theaters are often open to give people the opportunity to relax and be entertained.  The point is many businesses have remained open for years on holidays.  They know travelers have needs, and they are in the business of providing those needs.  Travelers or those on holiday appreciate trains, planes, and busses that take them from point A to point B.

When we use any of those services, we are spending money.  I think it is all in the psychology of the thing that we get lost.  When things stay the same in our lives, there is comfort.  When things change or when something we disagree with comes on the scene, we are quick to criticize.  We attempt to place our beliefs on others.  That never works well.  It is ok to engage in capitalism to get where we want to be or to take that long awaited vacation.  We tend to forget that others have to work to make our decisions possible.

It is Thanksgiving Day.  I am sitting in my warm family room watching the parade on tv.  Others are working--actually advertising with those huge balloons--to make my day at home a fun experience.  In a bit I will begin preparation for tomorrow's meal when our family joins us.  I am hoping I have all the ingredients needed for those dishes.  And I will be grateful if one grocery store is open today should I need something for tomorrow's feast.

Rather than criticize others for the decisions they make, I will exercise choice.  It is my personal choice whether I shop on this day, or whether I do not.   No one is forcing me to get dressed and drive to any store.  No one is forcing me to stay home.   If others make the decision to take care of business on this day,  what is that to me?   While I believe that we have lost something very precious in this world, we have gained much, also.  So, I will stay home today.  Not to make a statement, but to enjoy the company of my husband and to prepare for my family tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment