Monday, November 18, 2013

The Storm

The Storm--

It was around noon when the rain began.  That was quickly followed by strong winds and hail.  Lightening flashed.  Trees swayed and bent against the wind.  Large limbs crashed to the ground.  The power went out.  On days like this we are very grateful for a basement.

The local TV station reported tornado touchdowns in towns very close to us.  Pictures of damaged neighborhoods were posted for all to see.  It was devastating.  Truly, the pictures looked like a war zone.  And that is exactly what it was.  Nature attacked.  People had no way to defend.  Survival became the only thought as people tried to get to safety.

I grew up in the South.  Tornados took the homes of many neighbors.  In fact, where we lived was called tornado alley.  People built storm shelters and huddled inside them until it was safe to be outside. The storm shelters were actually rather scary.  Damp and dark with bugs and spiders.  But, that was much safer than trying to ride the storm in our house.  There were no cell phones.  Nothing to help us.  Many of our neighbors lost everything to those storms.  Our worst damage was a barn that collapsed with a horse inside.

The storms of my youth were certainly horrible.  The storms in my adult life seem so much more vicious, and they arrive with greater regularity.  Who would have thought a storm like this in November in the Midwest?  I suppose there have been some.  I just don't remember any of this magnitude.

One moment everything is normal in life.  Kids are playing, lunch is ready to be consumed, football is on tv.  Families are doing what families do.  Maybe the washer is churning away.  Plans are made for the day.  And then almost without warning, life is split wide open.  People gather children and head to the basement.  They huddle together trying to protect one another from the assault of wind, rain and hail.  It seems like an eternity yet it is over in a few minutes.  From this moment on children will fear dark clouds, rain and wind.

There is rejoicing that everyone survived this attack.  Yet amid the rejoicing, there is shock and saddness.  Things are different.  The house that provided shelter could not withstand the strength of nature.  It did its best.  It stood strong and tall as long as it could.  If it could communicate, I think it would express its saddness and despair that it was unable to offer protection and shelter.

 And now pieces of life are collected and placed in baskets, boxes and bags. Tears flow as memories flood the soul.  Let those of us who have undamaged homes listen carefully for ways to help those who suffer this day.  It is at times like these that people experience what it truly means to be human.  People rush to offer anything they have to aid those in distress.  People are truly good at heart.  We reach out to those we do not know because we "know" deep within ourselves that we are all in this together.  Another's suffering is my suffering.  Another's joy is my joy.  We cannot separate ourselves from others.

A clear blue sky greeted me this morning.  As I scanned the heavens, yesterday's news flooded my heart.  How can the world move so quicky from despair to beauty in a few hours?  I don't understand.  But, I do understand that out there amid that destruction is someone I can personally help.  I wait with anticipation for that person to become visible.  And maybe that is the lesson to be learned or relearned.  We are our brother and sister's keepers.  We may not be in relationship with them.  We may not know their names.  We may not live next door.  But, what does any of that matter?  Honestly, it doesn't.  What matters in this life is people.  At this moment in our lives we have the golden opportunity to reach out beyond ourselves and comfort another fellow traveler on this planet.  I know we will all do exactly what is right for each of us to do.

I will go about my daily routine.  But, there is a difference within me today.  Once again I have been taught that life is fragile.  That things change.  Yet, love and kindness remain.  Shared hugs and tears   bind people together.  People who "show up" offer us the strength to move forward.  We do what we can.  We love.

If you are reading this, my prayer is that you are safe.  I am grateful for you even though I don't know who you are.  May you experience a day of gratitude this day.  And may you reach beyond yourself in ways you have never done before.  That is my prayer for me as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment