Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Grateful Spirit--

A Grateful Spirit--

I am so grateful for all the people who have touched my life.  Each one is unique.  Each one brings something I need and gives it to me as a wonderful gift.  I am blessed beyond belief.

Years ago I bought a fake fur coat.  It is black and quite fuzzy.  My grandchildren call it my gorilla coat.  It is light but oh, so warm.  I had it on tonight at my grandson's sectional basketball game.  They came in second, by the way.  A dad of one of the players on his team told me how much he likes my coat.  I took it off and helped him into it.  It was hilarous.  People were snapping pictures with their phones as he posed like Joe Namath at the Super Bowl.  As he took it off, he told me he would like to have it when I am done with it.  What a hoot.  A happy moment.  I will wrap it in a pretty box with a big bow.

Our mail carrier is a good friend.  She left a message on my phone this week asking me to call her.  I did call her several times. Even left messages.  No reply.  I became a little nervous that something was wrong.  Maybe she was sick.  Or had had a wreck delivering the mail in this horrid weather.  The next day she called.  I told her I was a little worried since I had not been able to connect with her.  She laughed.  Seems that she had delivered our mail to the house and left it inside our entry.  As she turned to leave, she noticed that the trim was down and the entry was a mess.  She called to see what in the world I was doing with that room.  We spent quite a few minutes talking about what would look good. She brightens my day.

A couple of weeks ago we had a couple out for dinner.  After dinner we sat in front of the fire enjoying the warm glow it cast on the room.  Everything looks better in candle light or fire light.  If you want your house and yourself to look warm and inviting, simply light those candles.  We drank a bottle of wine and visited.  Had many laughs.  It was a lovely evening with dear friends.

We took a couple to dinner recently.  It was his birthday.  Everyone deserves to be treated in a special way on their birthday.  We talked sports and the cold and just life.  It was fun.  You make memories when you sit around a table and share stories.  Each person's story adds new depth to the conversation and to understanding.  We loved having the opportunity to share that time with them.

Lunch today with a friend was great.  Part of the conversation was light and funny.  Part was a bit more serious.  I like that.  Life is always a journey of many parts.  It is a joy to spend time with a person you truly enjoy.  She brings new insights to me.  I need that.  We all do.  I hope I add something to her life as well.  Times shared are memory makers.

I usually visit with my son several times a week.  We text quite a bit.  Texting is such a fast way to communicate.  However, when I have something more important to visit with him about, I call.  He does the same.  I am so blessed to have him as my son.  He is funny, smart, handsome, affectionate.  He was such a joy when he was home with us.  Now that he has his own family, we love him even more.  He is a great dad.  He and his wife are doing a wonderful job of raising three children.  We are truly blessed that he is our son.  Love him so much.  And I love his wife dearly.  I feel very fortunate that she is in my life.  Don't get me started on the grandchildren!

My best friend for many years knows me inside out.  For that I am grateful.  Can't fool her at all.

There are so many folks who have entered my life at different times and brought such joy.  To be truthful, there have also been a few who have brought a bit of pain.  But, it is all good.  From each person who has touched my life, I have learned.  Because of them I know that I am a better person.  Some always bring laughter.  Some ask for my thoughts about life challenges.  Some visit about faith.  Some talk education.  Some are like me--they love decorating.  We talk about how to put rooms together.  Some let all the frustration and worry out as we sit together and visit.  All bring love.  Each and everyone.  The wonderful part about all of this is I know I can call them when I need to vent.  And don't we all need to vent once in awhile!

So, I say thank you to all of you who have touched my life.  Thank you for taking the time to talk to me.  Thank you for laughing with me.  Thank you for reaching out to me when my world was a bit off kilter--did I spell that right??

Now, take the time to thank all those who were there when you needed them.  And vow to be there for them.

Loving this life!!








No comments:

Post a Comment