Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Son--

A Son--

Wandering down memory lane today.   I have no idea why certain thoughts appear at unexpected times, but they do.  Today is one of those days.   Hey!  I am grateful that I can still wander down that lane and actually find my way back.

We were about five years into our marriage when having children seemed like a good idea.  All of our friends were having their families.  It looked like fun.  We always enjoyed being around little ones.  Besides, we had had several years to ourselves.  We thought we were ready to embark on a new adventure.

Making the decision to have a child and actually producing one are two different things.  We were sure nature would cooperate with us.  It seemed so simple.  It proved to be anything but simple.

After a year of working toward that goal, we decided that maybe we needed a little help.  Off to the doctors we went.  Each of us had a few issues that had to be addressed.  That came as a bit of a surprise.  Eventually the tests were over, and we were told there was only one thing available to us.  No one wanted us to take that avenue so we went home and enjoyed life.  That year I decided to take a year off from teaching. So, when school began that fall, I stayed home.

About a month before school began, I realized that I was feeling a bit icky.  My stomach was upset almost every day.  You would think I would have known what was happening, but I did not.  I don't remember the day when it dawned on me that maybe there was a baby who was making me miserable.  A test--yes, we were going to be parents.

How wonderful that I had the year off to enjoy being pregnant.  I loved it.  That fall we took a trip to Hawaii to celebrate a dream that would soon be a reality.  During those nine months we decorated the room for the little person who would soon be a permanent fixture in our lives. We selected a name for a boy and a girl.  We made plans.

Mid April was my due date.  He decided to join us on the 19th.  Our life was never the same.  Seven years after we married, Matthew arrived.

When you wait so long for something so special, it is almost more than the heart can stand when that little bundle is handed to  you.  So warm and pink.  A mass of dark hair.  And he is ours.  He is perfect.  All the right amount of fingers and toes.  A strong cry when he wants attention.  A snuggle bug.

The years that followed were full.  Learning to walk and talk.  Experiencing his world.  Wondering at fireflies and butterflys.  Dragging Mr. Bear around with him.  Sharing his blanket with me.  Working puzzles and reading books.  Playing ball with Dad.  School and sports.  Music lessons.   Sunday school.  Friends.  Family.  Those years were so joyful, and they passed much too quickly.

Almost before we could blink, he was graduating from high school.  This handsome young man with dreams and ambitions of his own.  This new portion of his life would remove him from us just a bit, but  that is the way of life.  We knew he was prepared to meet the new challenges he would face.  We had helped him build a solid foundation for his life.  We sent him to college knowing he would shine.

Eventually, a young woman appeared on the scene.  We were delighted that they found one another.   Add law school and medical school into the mix, and you have two young people with high ambitions and dreams.  Throw in a marriage and children, and the picture is complete.

Just like every parent, we have watched him move through childhood into adulthood.  We have cherished each moment we have shared.  We have made precious memories to last a lifetime.  We have been blessed.  We surrounded him with love and watched him soar.  What more could a parent ask?




2 comments:

  1. Loved reading this one! Took me down memory lane myself with the lives of both of my sons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to revisit those precious days. And look forward to the ones to come! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete