Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Birthing Process--A New Twist

The Birthing Process--A New Twist

Have been experiencing "labor pains" lately.  Yes, it is true.  There will be no more human children coming forth from this  woman.  But, there are other types of labor pains, and they can be almost as painful as childbirth.

The labor pains I am experiencing are of my own making.  They appear almost every time I sit down at my computer and attempt to birth a new idea.  Or birth a new twist to an old idea.  They usually begin with my fingers poised and ready to deliver words to the keyboard. The keyboard is waiting..waiting.  I am forever grateful to those who invented the computer and that wonderful delete key.  Mine is almost worn out.  Birthing ideas and putting them into coherent sentences is difficut and time consuming.

My mind explodes with thoughts and ideas.  However, often those ideas and thoughts do not appear in paragraph form.  They are single thoughts.  It is my responsibility to give birth to them.  This process can take hours or days.  The struggle is to make the thoughts and ideas easy for the reader to follow.   Agony is a constant companion during these times.  It is painful when the thought is within sight but just outside my reach.

However, I am pleased as punch to share with you that my second book is almost ready for the printer. I have labored long and hard to put together essays that make the reader smile, think, remember.  I am happy and relieved to share with you that there are only a few items remaining for me to decide.

One very important thing I must birth is the title of this second book.  Once that decision is finalized, I will have direction in the design of the front and back cover.  It sounds so easy.  In fact, it is difficult.   Another decision facing me is the selection of photographs for the essays.  Adding photographs to the book is quite costly.  However, I think they greatly enhance the text.  Soon my camera and I will spend time examining the world around us.

Then it is off to the printer.  This part of the process is time consuming.  They will make a copy of the book and send it to me.  It is my task to proof it.  Once I have completed that, I sign off on the book, and it is printed.  But, before that final step, there will be many emails and phone conversations.  The printing company wants to make sure they have it exactly as the writer wishes.

I am hoping to have it available for purchase by the first of May.  If you are interested in a copy, email or message me on facebook.  That will help me make the decision about how many copies to print.  I will not know the cost until the order for copies is submitted.

Labor is a tricky process.  Sometimes it happens quickly.  What a blessed relief.  Sometimes it requires time and stress.  But, when the process is complete, what joy!

My labor is coming to an end.  I am ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment