Monday, February 17, 2014

Glitz, Glitter and Grace--

Glitz, Glitter and Grace--

The drive north was difficult.  Rain came down in buckets.  Semi trucks sent oceans of water onto our windshield leaving us with zero visibility.  Our windshield wipers worked overtime trying to help us see the lines on the road.  We were so grateful for the four new tires we purchased one day prior to our trip.  They not only gave us a smooth ride, but they also gripped the road.

As night fell, we knew it would be impossible to see those beloved painted lines on the road.  It was time to begin the search for a place to stay the night.  We needed to rest our weary eyes, backs and nerves.

We found a place that satisfied both of us.  They had a room.  After taking care of the business end of a night's stay, we returned to our car.  We unloaded our suitcases and other treasures and walked back into the lobby.  We looked pretty exhausted.   Dressed in jeans, tennis shoes and sweat shirts, we made our way to the elevators.  We didn't really want anyone to notice us.

As we approached the elevators, a few women swished in beside us.  Now these women were dressed to the nines.  I was keenly aware of the fact that I had not "done" my hair that morning nor had I applied make-up.  It was one of those moments that make women cringe.  There was no place to hide so I did the next best thing.

I asked why they were so dressed up.  When I say they were dressed-up, I don't mean in suits.  No, I mean in evening wear.  Glittery long dresses, smart shoes, beautiful jewelry, evening bags, perfect make-up, not one hair out of place, nails manicured and polished.  Some had long dresses that looked like something from Gone With the Wind.  One woman had to have the elevator to herself because her dress was just huge.

Those who entered the elevator with us explained that they were all there for a DAR convention.   DAR is Daughters of the American Revolution.  They said they had just come from a dinner meeting and were on their way to the next part of the evening.  Others in the elevator added more information.  They were delightful and so gracious.

After we threw our luggage into our room, we headed back down to the lobby.  Once again we shared an elevator with more beautifully dressed women.  This time I asked where they were meeting.  When we finished our business, I made my way down corridors to the room where they were gathering.

Large double doors opened in a room full of happy women.  In the front of the room was a stage.  A podium stood on the left hand side of the stage.  Green ferns lined the stage giving a soft look to the hard edges of the wood.  Rows of padded seats formed lines on the right and left sides of the room.  A wide center aisle provided the walkway for all those women sitting and waiting just outside the double doors.  Evidently those women were the leadership of the group.

Dressed in my wrinkled jeans, sweat shirt and tennis shoes, I asked it I might slip into the room before the doors were closed.  Yes, I could.  The only thing asked of me was that I not leave the room during a prayer.  That was certainly an acceptable request.  So, after the procession had filed into the room, I took my place against the back wall.  A few women gave me a little "look."  I totally understood.  But, no one approached me and asked me to leave.

Once everyone was in their places, the group recited the Pledge--to our country and to their state.  Then we all sang The Star Spangle Banner.  There were a few more group recitations from memory.  At that point exhaustion began to seep into my bones so I quietly opened the door and left.

What a wonderful experience.  One woman told me she is the webmaster for the group.  She invited me to go to the site and read about DAR and their state group.  I will do that.  She also took the time to explain each pin she was wearing on her shoulder sash.  She was very proud of her association with such a special group.

Thinking back, I had a choice that evening.  I could have smiled and gone to our room.  Brushed my teeth, put on pj's, turned on the Olympics, fluffed my pillows and rested.  But, I made another choice.  I decided to learn about the women so elegantly dressed.  Not one of them made me feel uncomfortable even though it was quite evident I had been traveling for many hours.  They were just as fine as the clothes they wore.

It turned out to be a most special ending to a long and tiring day in the car.  A thought--When you are given an opportunity to learn, what choice will you make?

(My husband has traced his lineage to the American Revolution.  He can be a Son of the American Revolution!  Pretty special)


No comments:

Post a Comment