Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Grandma's Deception!

A Grandma's Deception--

It was the holiday season.  The bell ringers were outside a store happily ringing away.  On this particular day my granddaughter was my companion.  She was preschool.

As we exited the store, she asked why they were ringing the bells.  I explained that they were there to receive money that would be used to help people who needed a little assistance with food and gifts for their families.  I  handed her some money and told her to drop it in the pot.  She did.

And then the deceiving began.  How does one justify deceiving a small innocent child!  I will tell you how.  Immediately after dropping the money in the pot, she asked where the food was.  And where were the gifts for the children?

I tried to explain the process, but it was evident it made no sense so I made up a little story.  Just a little story that was meant to help her understand.

Then she wanted to know the names of the children who would get gifts because of the money she dropped into the pot.  So I said Ben and Sally.  You have to remember--everything was coming at me at lightening speed.  How old were they, she asked.  Well, they were seven and nine.  Where were they now?  In school, I said.  What grade?  Sally was in first grade and Ben in third.  Where were their parents?  At work, I said.  If they were at work, why didn't they have money to buy gifts for Ben and Sally?  Well, they had bills to pay and there simply wasn't enough money.  Where did they go to school?

At that point we were passing by a school, so I said that particular school.  The kids were outside playing.  Must have been recess.  So, which ones of them were Ben and Sally?  I looked very closely as we drove by and then said I didn't see them.  Too many children.

Finally, there was quiet in my car.  I thought we were finished with this little deception.  It was an honest one, you know.  But, soon it began again.  Maybe we should buy some toys and take them to the school for Ben and Sally.  These imaginary children had become close friends by then.  Surely we could help them have a happy Christmas.

So, we drove to a toy store and purchased appropriate toys for Ben and Sally.  Then we took them to the school.  How was I going to pull this off, I wondered?  Once we were buzzed inside, I gave our names and why we were there.  We had toys for Ben and Sally.  As I said this, I winked at the woman on the other side of the counter.  She said Ben and Sally were in class, but she would see that they received the gifts.

Quite pleased with our mission, we returned to our journey.  Would you believe we did that same thing the next year?  She did not forget.  Each time we took gifts, the secretary treated her with such respect.  She made her feel as if she had done something wonderful.  She had.

Maybe two years passed.  One day, quite out of the blue, she asked me if Ben and Sally really existed.  I told her the truth.  We laughed at the way the story unfolded and how the school received lovely gifts for the children thanks to her caring spirit.

It pays to be fast on your feet!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment