Monday, September 16, 2013

My Second Home--Not What You Think!

My Second Home--Not What You Think!

I left my house this morning searching for a little peace.  Anyone else ever need a dose of that?

My car is a great place for quiet.  No interruptions once I close the door and start the engine.  Just my car and I heading no place in particular.  We are best friends, that car and I.  We spend quite a bit of quality time together.  The best thing about spending time with my car is she never disagrees with my thoughts.  I can sing along with the radio if I wish, or sing by myself.  Often I talk out loud while I am driving.  This allows me to actually hear what my thoughts are when they meet the air outside my head.  Gives me a little better insight into what others might hear.  Also gives me the opportunity to clean up my act.

It could be--not saying it is, just saying it could be--that on occasion an unkind utterance leaves my body and arrives in the air that surrounds me.  I have actually been a little surprised at times with my own words.  But, that time in my car gives me the chance to work through issues that bother me.  I can work out the frustrations of the day as I drive along.

A few times people in cars next to me at stop lights have glanced over and seen me talking away.  Since they see no one else in the car, I can only guess what they are thinking.  Matters not to me what they think.  I know that this car and I will figure out all the important, pressing issues of the day before I come to a stop.  By the time I exit the car, my mind will be less cluttered, and I will be more able to function in an intelligent manner.

My wheels are like my second home.  Many people have an actual second home.  I have my car.  She is my second home.  I eat, drink, talk, cry, observe, sleep, write, laugh in her.  Cleaning her is so easy.  A simple vaccume and a swipe with a damp cloth is all the housecleaning needed to keep her looking great.  Once in awhile we drive through the car wash so she looks her absolute best.  That is the least I can do for her.

She does everything for me.  By hitting a button I know how much gas I have left in the tank.  The outside temperature keeps me informed.  The compass makes sure I am heading in the right direction.  If I want to know how many miles per gallon she is getting,  I push the button again.  And so on.  She heats and cools my seat so I am always comfortable.  What a friend she is.  She gives and gives and never once have I heard her ask for anything in return.  Wow!

Today I needed some time to myself.  There she was--waiting for me to open the door.  I like to think she shivers with excitement and anticipation when I sit down and start the engine.  She knows she is going on an adventure with me.  Her best friend in all the world.

We took a drive today--just the two of us.  We will do that again tomorrow.  And probably the day after that.  Because we are best friends, and we enjoy one another's company.  Yes, we do.


No comments:

Post a Comment