Monday, September 16, 2013

Cell Phone Conversation

Cell Phone Conversation--

As I was walking into the bookstore this morning, I noticed a woman huddled against the wall of the store talking on her cell phone.  I appreciate people who exit public buildings to have private conversations.  Honestly, I don't want to listen to private conversations.  Especially when I am trying to enjoy a magazine or book.

It is impossible to "not hear" conversations.  So, I heard her say she was frustrated.  Things were out of control, and there was nothing she could do about it.  All of that before I could pull the door open and enter.

It made me think about that control thing.  We delude ourselves into believing we are in control of our lives.  Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.  Today people died because someone took a gun and fired shots.  People who were simply going about the business of living- working to make their lives and the lives of those they loved better.  There was no warning that everything in their world was totally out of their control.  Someone with a very different agenda took control of lives for a little bit of time.  And in that short amount of time, lives changed forever.

I am mad.  Mad that people even think about taking another person's life because they are unhappy.  Mad that social services are not available to people in need of them.  Mad that those innocent people didn't get the opportunity to say goodbye to those who love them.  Mad because it makes not one bit of sense to me to take a gun and randomly fire at people.  What is going on in this world?

Can't think about this anymore tonight.  But, I need to think long and hard about what I can do to make this world a safer place for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment