Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Decks

Decks--

Decks are such lovely places.  Decks give a home a welcoming look.  If there is a shade tree, a sofa and chair provide a peaceful place to spend a few minutes each day simply enjoying home.  Often pots of flowers adorn decks.  Their cheerful colors contrast nicely with the wood of the deck.

We have six colorful hummingbird feeders extended from our deck.  Hummingbirds visit all day long.  How fun when multiple hummers visit the feeders at the same time.  Soon they will depart for their long journey south.  It simply amazes me that these tiny creatures have the ability to fly such long distances.  We welcome their return in late spring.

A table and chairs make a great spot for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.  Drinking the morning cup of coffee while reading the newspaper is another activity around the table.  When company visits, eating on the deck at the table is a lovely way to spend time with friends while also enjoying nature.  Yes, decks serve so many purposes.

Today I wanted to spend a few quiet minutes on our deck.  I chose a very comfortable chair as my quiet spot.  Looking to my left I could enjoy huge flower pots, the fireplace, green grass, our garden and roses blooming.  Looking to the right I saw two toilets, one sink, a cabinet, a washer and a dryer.  Now, which direction would you like best??

If I walked to my right past all the toilets and such, I would run into a huge saw and stacks of stones.  Yes, the work on the bathroom remodel is almost complete.  It is getting a bit exciting as this project is winding down.  I think by this weekend we will be allowed to move all of the "deck decorations" back into the house.  But, until then I get a bit tickled at the toilets setting beside the sofa.  Guess they could provide a place to sit...

Next week when we remove the flowers, the deck will look lonely.  I know many of you love fall.  While I enjoy the cooler temperatures, it marks the beginning of a long stretch of brown dirt and bare trees.  To me that is a tiny bit depressing.  All the colors will soon be gone, and we will move into the time of year when our part of the earth rests.  I suppose that is a good thing for nature.  For me it is a bit sad.  I miss the colors of spring and summer.  I miss the flowers that smile at me when I water them each day.  I miss watching the birds build nests and babies take their first flight.  I miss the fresh tomatoes from the garden.

And I miss sitting on my decks simply enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment