Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Perfect Walk

A Perfect Walk--

Following a day full of wonderful conversation, laughs and creativity, it seemed appropriate to slip into the multicolored tennis shoes and take a walk.  Actually, I didn't want the day to end.  I wanted to rethink the events and activities.  I wanted to remember how everyone worked together toward a common goal.  It was absolute hard work.  It was absolute joy.

The parking lot provided by the city for folks who desire to walk, ride bikes and jog was almost full.  After finding a place to leave my car, I gathered my keys and ipod.  Time to join all of those who desire to remain healthy.  My ipod needs a little help.  The first song I hear maybe a rock selection.  Following that maybe a Christmas carol.  And following that probably an orchestra performing a piece by a famous composer.  Something about that doesn't seem quite right.  Good thing I can fast forward.

I began my walk down the path.  Tall grasses waved and bent in the wind.  Yellow wildflowers on sturdy stems mixed perfectly with the tall grasses. They hardly bent at all.  Short grasses filled in at ground level.  At one point a bird hopped down the path in front of me.  It didn't seem to be injured.  It seemed to be my walking companion for a few feet.  What a treat.

Clouds were whipping cream white against the pale blue sky.  I wished for a very large spoon and a gigantic ladder.  Colors changed before my eyes as the sun made its way past the horizon. It was a magical moment.  How lucky I was to see this.

The fountain in the small lake was sending water high in the air.   As it fell back to the surface of the pond, it made a relaxing sound.  Who doesn't love the sound of moving water.  Water moving swiftly over rocks making splashes is such a merry sound.  Waves crashing into the shore speaks of strength and power.  Waterfalls in small family ponds make just enough sound to put one to sleep.  Ripples moved away from the center of the waterfall as the water met the surface.

Cattails filled a shallow section of the pond.  I love cattails.  Once I decided to stop beside a roadway and cut a few for an arrangement on my dining room table.  I found the perfect vase.  I decided to cut them to varying heights and added some other foliage to fill in the arrangement.  Then I set them on the table, stepped back and admired my creation.  No one told me that one day they would pop open and seeds would be everywhere.  And I mean everywhere.  On that day I learned a valuable lesson.  Do a little research before cutting wild plants and flowers and using them in my house.  What a mess.  But, it was fun for awhile.

At several points along my walk I crossed the water on little wooden bridges.  Crossing the bridges produced a bumpy sound.  Very different from the sound of my shoes on the cement path.  The bridges arched over the water.  When bikes crossed them, the sound was very loud.

Many homes surround the marsh.  They are set back several feet from the path.  In some instances the wild flowers and plants separate the homes from the path.  No people were outside in their yards enjoying the beautiful evening.  Well, that is not exactly true.  One man was washing windows.  I wanted to ask him if he hired out, but I already knew the answer.

Everything was perfect.  For a small minute in time the world was at peace.  Nature was giving all she had to give.  The sky was a celebration of wonder.  Everything was as it should be.  I was so aware.  So caught up in the moment.  As I continued my walk, I noticed birds probably getting ready for night. A few butterflys drank from the yellow wildflowers.  Bees got that last little meal before dark.  Rounding the last curve, I saw my best friend.  That would be my car.  She and I spend many quality moments together.

If only life could be so peaceful and beautiful for all souls on this earth.  I thought on that as I drove away toward my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment