Saturday, August 16, 2014

See Anything Great Today?

See Anything Great Today?

Did you see any great thing today?  Were your eyes on the look-out for the wonderful?  When we truly look for the great and good, it is everywhere.  It all depends on what we decide to see each day of our lives.  Here we go again--yes, it is all about choice.

In our fast-paced world it is so easy to overlook all the good and great.  We move at rapid speed from one event to another.  Constantly on the run.  Trying to stay calm amid the rush of life.  Trying to accomplish everything we have on that long list before the day ends.  Even if good or great walked right up to us and said hi, we would probably not recognize either.  It makes one wonder what it is all about.

When I make the choice to see great or good, I am amazed.  To be able to do that requires letting go of prejudice and opinion and seeing life through new eyes.  I am the product of my upbringing just as you are.   We form our way of seeing the world based on how we were taught.  We watched and learned from trusted adults in our early years.  Because of that modeling, our view of the world around us took on the beliefs of others.  Only as we grew older and had new experiences did we begin to form our own way of seeing the world.  We probably surprised ourselves when we turned away from the views of those we love in favor of our own way of engaging in life.  Being able to form our own views is a necessary part of becoming an adult.

So, what did I see today that was great, good or wonderful?  I shall be delighted to share what came into my view today.

I watched people work on a project that will make life better for others.  I saw the fun flowing from them to everyone they came in contact with even as they labored hard to finish the project.  I saw gentle spirits that set goals and are moving toward those goals with rapid speed.  I engaged in conversation with a woman who has such a positive outlook on life.  She gives my spirit a lift just seeing her.  I saw smiles everywhere.  I received an email from a woman I met briefly on her driveway when I stopped to ask directions.  She and I engaged in meaningful conversation.  Today I received that email and will meet her again soon.  In fact, she wants three of my books.  Now that is certainly reason to see the world through thankful eyes.  I had the opportunity to let a driver move in front of me. That seems so silly, doesn't it?  But, I have seen others refuse to allow that.  Might have been guilty of that myself.  Sigh. Someone said that confession is good for the soul.  I don't feel any better now that I have told you. I woke up this morning and saw the beauty of the world outside my windows.  I asked for help, and it was given so graciously.  That is but a few of the things that came into my view today.

To really see we need to clear our minds.  We need to be like the little ones we love.  They experience the world as new and fresh.  They have no prejudices.  I desire that.  How refreshing to see life through the lens of children.

Well, I see that it is getting a bit late.  It has been a very busy week.  I look forward to what this new week will bring into my field of vision.  What about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment