Monday, August 11, 2014

A World Interrupted

A World Interrupted--

In my corner of the world life is good.  Aside from a few ouches here and there, things are just fine.  Our home, while not large and stately, is perfect for us.  If the walls could share, they would talk about all the people who have graced our home.  Teens from youth groups, kids practicing lines and songs for plays and musicals, friends discussing books read, dinners shared, furniture pushed aside to make space for practicing dance steps.   This house has been alive with people.  It has protected us in times of life storms.  It is a living, breathing structure.  Much more than wood, nails, steel, concrete, glass.  It is alive with laughter, tears, stresses, frustrations, disappointments, joys.  It is home.

I was thinking about this as I sat on the deck watching the hummingbirds fight over food.  I had the opportunity to sit and watch nature happening all around me.  Trees are fully leafed.  Each with its own shape and size.  Plants have reached their full growth.  Soon fall will take them away only to return them next year.  The sun was low in the sky.  Typical of a late summer day just before the beginning of school.  It was a very precious time.

The quiet and peace of the moment was interrupted as images and words shared on news reports surfaced.  Families stranded with no water, food or shelter.  Children beheaded.  I can hardly write those words.  Women and young girls captured.  Women stoned.  How could I sit there and enjoy my little corner of the world when out there somewhere are people who are suffering?  Fearing death perhaps because of their religion.  I will confess.  I don't understand any of this.

I do understand that people have differing beliefs and cultures.  But, isn't there a way to work through the differences without violence?  I want to believe there is a way, but the world keeps reminding me time and time again that peace is elusive.  Life could be wonderful for all peoples on this planet.  Life could be full of joy and laughter.  Wouldn't that be the best thing ever?  All children running and playing happily with no fear.  Families celebrating what families celebrate.  Enough food, water, shelter, clothing.  A way to make a life and living for all who desire that.

The one thing I can do about all of the suffering in this world is to pray for peace.  To pray for wise people who look at all the challenges and attempt to make a win/win for everyone.  To support efforts to right terrible wrongs when those efforts are presented to me.

While I will go about my day tomorrow doing what is on my schedule, I will continue to remember those people who suffer.  Because of them, I will attempt to be a kinder person to everyone I meet.  I will offer my help to those who might need it.  I will be grateful for food and home.  I will be grateful that those I love are safe. And my heart will mourn for those in a far away land who would give anything for a little normal in their day.


No comments:

Post a Comment