Saturday, July 27, 2013

One-Liners

One-Liners--


One-liners are quick ways to get a point across.  When others agree with our one-liners, we are validated.  It feels so good to lead the way, doesn't it?  I love it when others agree with something I write.

But, one-liners can be very judgemental.  When they are judgemental, they almost always have an edge.  Frequently they are written by folks who feel they have the answers to life's challenges.  I wish it were that simple.  Unless one-liners are positive, they hold no interest for me.  I read them and then move on.

How easy it is to believe we have the answers to most of life's challenges.  If only others would listen to us.  If only others believed what we believe.  If only we could influence thinking.  Life could be so much better if others lived as we do.  The only thing bothersome about this way of thinking is it negates any other point of view.  It replaces personal choice with our choice.

What is right for one may be questionable for another.  We each get to make our own decisions.  One of the beautiful aspects of being human is our ability to make choices.  Now, just because we have the ability to make choices doesn't mean we always make the best ones.  Making choices that challenge us push us to grow.  Honestly, I don't wish to be around folks who believe they always make the right choices.  I find those folks a bit self-centered.  Spending time with others who are searchers on this journey is refreshing.  We can each share without feeling we are being preached at.  Who wants that?

It is most enjoyable to visit with someone who values others.  Who knows that each life journey and life story is unique.  I love to be able to tell my story without the knowledge that judgement is just under the skin of the listener.    My life is a highway of roads leading in all directions.  There have been times when I wished I had taken a different road, and other times when I rejoiced on the journey.  But, the thing is this--all my choices belong to me.  Life, for me, has been a series of conversations with myself and others.

And you know what?  I don't remember a single judgemental one-liner.  But I do remember the love, care and concern shown to me by others.


No comments:

Post a Comment