Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Every Life is Precious

Every Life is Precious

Today I decided to clean a closet.  That means I have to focus.  What needs to be placed on a shelf or in a drawer, and what must be pitched.  Those are the questions I asked as I touched each item.

After working for what seemed like an eternity,  it was time for a break.  Sitting at my desk, I opened my Facebook page.  It was then that I saw the heartbreaking news.  A young woman who had been in my classes died in a house fire.  She was absolutely beautiful.  Sweet and kind.  Her face always wore a smile, and there was a twinkle in her eye.

Once again I write about a person I knew who has left us.  Seems like there has been way too much of this happening lately.  We all know that life is uncertain.  We just don't fully understand how uncertain it really is.  I think I am glad we don't know our future.  Some of us would become incapable of continuing.  Others would accomplish much knowing the limit of their time.  As it is, we go about our life doing what we all do--work, play, hobbies, friends, family.

In a bit I will return to the mess in the closet, but right now my mind has taken me to a new place.  Let me share.

Not long ago there was a picture taken from Saturn of Earth and her moon.  My goodness.  How tiny in all of creation.  How insignificant Earth looked.  Just a pin dot.  My mind was challenged by the vastness of space.  In all of that ocean beyond our earth, there are millions and millions of "worlds" we know nothing about.  I love it that we continue to explore.

Then I thought about all the ways humans have of hurting one another.  We seem to think the universe revolves around us.  Perhaps that is due to the fact that we are the only ones we know about at this time.  Would we be different if we knew we were being observed?  And what would others see if there are others who can see us?  From a distance, as she sang in that beautiful song, we all look so alike.  Arms, legs, hands, feet, heads, middles.  Sure, we range in color, but we are basically fomed the same.  Would it seem strange that beings who look the same actually try to hurt and kill one another?  It's not like Star Wars where beings are really different--and I love Star Wars.  Humans are recognizable because of similarities.  Or would "they" see us being compassionate?  Would observers see our kindness?  Would our love shine?  Would they sense that we are a creation of great value?  Would they understand that we value each human life?  Would our progress be apparent--not only progress in science, but also progress in taking care of this beautiful earth?

Another thought--and they come unannounced!  Are we an experiment?  Are we here to learn how to really live and love?  If so, are we learning?  Are we working at compromise when it seems compromise is impossible?  Do we give up?  Do we allow injustice to reign?  Are we moving toward the understanding that everyone has true worth?  Are we practicing radical hospitality?  If those are some of the lessons we are to learn, how are we doing?  On a very large report card, what grade would we be given?

This is too much.  I can't think along those lines for long.  My brain rebels.  So, I guess I will return to the tedious job of cleaning.  I need something mindless for a little bit.  And as I clean, I will remember that young woman who walked this earth and touched countless lives.  Rest in sweet peace, dear one.


No comments:

Post a Comment