Monday, July 1, 2013

Those Annoying Calls


Those Annoying Calls--



We are one of the last ones around to eliminate our land line phone.  Many now use their cell phones as the primary phone.  That means we need a new list of phone numbers, and they must be programmed into the cell phone.  Sometimes I forget to ask for the cell number.  Then when I need to get in touch, I cannot.  Technology is both a good thing and a challenge.

Since we still have that antique thing called a land line, we receive unwelcome calls.  These calls come at all times of the day and into the evening.  They are annoying.  Just today the FBI called to tell us about home break-ins.  Really??  And then there are the calls with no sound for a few seconds.  I understand telemarketing provides jobs, but I wonder how much they help the company who is calling.

Many calls ask for money for every organization known to humanity.  No doubt some are legit.  However, it is my belief that many of these calls are scams.  When I am feeling a little curious, I ask where the money I might give will be used.  Often the person on the other end stammers a bit and tries to come up with a good response.  Usually the funds they are requesting from people will be used for administrative costs with very little actually going to the group they represent.

A few of the callers try to lay a guilt trip on the person who answers the phone.  Don't you care about the group they represent?  This is a group that does so much good, they say.  Just ten dollars will go a long way to helping.  Then they offer to send a self-addressed envelope for the donation.  Can they please send it?  And will you please drop it in the mail as soon as you receive it?

The answer at this house is always the same.  We don't give to any group who calls our house.  We cannot support all the charities of the world.  So, we make our own selections.  We have done the things we were told to do to stop these calls.  Nothing stops these calls.  When I am in a less than friendly frame of mind, I tell them I am going to hang up the phone.  I know. That isn't very nice.  I am simply sharing with you that sometimes that is the only way to end the monologue.  

 We could eliminate those calls if we cancelled our land line.  But, I think we would feel naked without it.  Maybe we could cancel the service and leave the phone hanging on the wall in the kitchen. Or we could purchase the service that tells you who is calling before you answer the phone.  What is that called?  I forget.  That idea has possibilities.  With that information, I could decide if I want to visit with the caller or not.  But that is one more decision added to my day.  Am I whining?

No doubt tomorrow the phone will ring and a recorded voice will announce there is no problem with our credit cards but.........


No comments:

Post a Comment