Saturday, October 5, 2013

At the Airport--

At the Airport--

I love airports once I have made it through security.  This morning I was "selected by the machine" for further screening.  No big deal.  I am grateful that we have tightened security.  Besides, a little extra time gives me the opportunity to observe my fellow earth people.  Most have a tired look about them.  No doubt this is due to an early departure time.

As we were waiting in line to check our bags, the fellow in front of us shared.  He brought his 85 year old mother to the airport.  She fell in April and broke a hip.  Soon after that she suffered a heart attack.  He mentioned that the golden years are not so golden.  Said she is very fearful of falling again.  She is on her way to Tennessee to see family.  How wonderful that she is able to travel.  It will be a special time for the family, I am sure.  When I am 85, I hope to find myself at the airport ready for a new adventure!

Hmmmmmmm--Not sure I like the way I worded that last sentence.  "Find myself at the airport" sounds like maybe I am expecting to forget where I am supposed to be.  Don't know why that should surprise me.  With repeated regularity, I enter a room, look around and wonder what I walked into that room to get or do.  Holy Cow!  What a strange thing to have something in mind, and then find it has left the mind and wandered into another thought.  Nothing to do but turn around and walk out the way I came in.   And then I remember why I wanted to be in that place.  So, back I go.  The only good thing about this is I see much younger folks doing the same thing.  No need to go to a trail to take a long walk.  If I wait long enough, I will spend the same energy walking from room to room in my house!!

The line at Starbucks is long.  Nothing unusual about that.  But, I need that iced skinny vanilla latte.  Bad.  Beyond Bad.  Next to frantic.  Get that caffine down the throat, and I will be ready to smile and be nice.  Without it--it's anyone's guess!

There goes a pilot.  He looks bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  Hope he has had his coffee.

A young family just passed by my table.  The young son is walking behind the family. He is preoccupied with stepping on the squares in the carpet.  I think he will be tugged along at greater speed any moment now.  Even at this hour in the morning, children are alert and find creative ways to walk down the corridor.  It is sad that we believe we have to be alike when we reach adulthood.  I think walking on the squares in the carpet is calling my name.  Thanks, little boy!

In a bit we will board the plane for the flight across country.  We have made this trip many times.  There is a saddness in leaving.  But, there is a joy in seeing friends and family.

So, off I go.  I hope you are having a wonderful day.  That your plans meet with success.  That you find time to think creative thoughts.  I hope this day is so special that you mark it on your calendar as a red letter day.  One you want to remember.

Talk soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment