Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fitting a Size Fourteen into a Size Ten? I Don't Think So!

Fitting a Size Fourteen into a Size Ten?  I Don't Think So!

Who am I trying to fool?  Do I really think I am fooling anyone?

Those are the questions I asked myself as I stood looking at the hangers of clothes that seem to have shrunk.  I swear those clothes were a perfect fit--five years ago??  Maybe ten years ago?  Do I honestly believe that I will ever squeeze this pudgy body into those slim tops and pants again in this life?

As I ran my fingers across the material of garments hanging in my closet,  my mind wandered to the times I wore some of them.  Mostly, though, I have no clue where I wore anything--even what I wore yesterday!   Clothes have lost their significance in my life.

When I was a working girl, clothes were very important.  I enjoyed shopping in unique places for outfits that were a little different from the regular.  When we were on trips, one of my favorite things to do was search for cute little out- of- the way shops and find the perfect thing.  I have clothes from everywhere hanging in my closet.  A few of the items will not leave this house.  They hold special memories.  However, it is way past time for me to clear out the clutter.

Don't you wonder where all the clutter originates?  I believe it hangs over our houses waiting for the right moment to drop in.  We hardly notice.  Until one day when the drawer by the phone is so full we cannot get it open or if it opens, we can't shut it.  Just today when I was in the decluttering mood, I found mail items from months ago.  Why???  My usual nag is to touch the mail once.  Either throw it away or file it.  (My granddaughter and I found a bottle of lemon juice in my fridge that was dated 2008.  That one even surprised me!:)

So, even though it will feel like giving an arm or leg away, I intend to take a bag and fill it with clothing items that have not been worn in five years.  Or six.  I will weed out the items that I simply will never fit into and give them away.  All items that are too worn, I will throw away.

While this activity will not remove any weight from me, it will make me feel lighter.  My closet will look bigger, and my choices will be more honest.  I will keep only those items that I truly intend to wear--and that fit.  It would not surprise me to learn that in a month or so I will go through again and give away more.  Really--how much do I need, anyway?

I like the idea of ridding our house of excessive stuff.  We did that when we experienced a house fire.  But, over the years stuff has been sneaking back into the house.  If I caught it, I would remove it.  But, it is so elusive.  Very secretive.  And then one day it has taken over.  Well, stuff, you will be history again!

The time is ripe for picking through the closet and selecting only the best to keep.  Kinda like picking strawberries.  Who wants to fill their containers with small berries?  We all want the best ones.  And that is what I will do with the closet.  Keep the best because I enjoy wearing those items, and give away the ones that are perfectly fine but no longer on my radar.

I feel better already!


2 comments: