Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Everything Has to be Right to Exercise

Everything Has to be Right to Exercise--

You know how it is--once you begin to actually work, strange things happen.  The mind shows other areas of the house that could use a little attention.  It's as if once the cycle has begun, there is no stopping it.  This drawer needs cleaning, that magazine pile needs to be recycled, those shoes need to be sorted.  And what about the trunk of the car?  Why oh why did I ever think cleaning the closet would be the day's big event?  So, I moved to the basement to tidy things.

Several years ago we purchased a treadmill.  Of course, I had the best intentions of using it everyday.  Well, there were issues.  It is big and clunky.  It requires a large area of floor space.  After trying it in the basement family room, I decided it ruined the look.  He graciously moved it to the unfinished part of the basement where we have shelves for storage, two hot water heaters, a furnace, a water softner, his short wave radio and other very important items.  Once in that room, it seemed so dark and dreary.  There is plenty of light, but the views are not the best.  There is nothing particularly appealing about walking along at a good pace while watching the hot water heater.  We tried area rugs thinking that would give it a more homey look.

Short answer is this.  I couldn't make myself walk down the stairs and into that area to exercise.  By this time you are probably thinking it has nothing to do with the environment, but everything to do with my aversion to exercise.  You think?  What was your first clue?  He even put a tv in the room with a vcr so I could watch movies while I walked. I really did try.

There is a word to think about.  Try.  It means you will give something a chance, but if it doesn't work out, oh well.  You tried.  There is really no commitment at all associated with that word.  It signals a way out.  I like that word.  I need that word.

Every other week I would trudge down the stairs wearing a cute outfit, matching tennis shoes, and socks with every intention of walking myself into perfect shape and health.  However, once I turned the corner and walked into the room where the treadmill waited patiently and silently, my intentions disappeared.

All of this to share what happened today.  I decided that if we (notice the pronoun) moved the beast back into the family room, I would actually use it.  Once again he got his tools and his quiet resolve and began to take it apart.  I stayed out of the way.  I'm not stupid.  Once it was in the family room, I laced on my tennis shoes, turned on the machine and took a walk.  A favorite tv program kept me focused until I looked around the room.  And then I realized something that has the power to change my very best intentions.

The treadmill is in the wrong place. It is on the wrong side of the room.  If this is going to work, it has to be moved.  The room is off balance.  That will bother me everytime I come downstairs to exercise.  Really?  To make room for it on the opposite side of the room, I began to move furniture.  At this moment the place it will rest is ready for the move.  I haven't had the nerve to call up the stairs for help.  I am thinking he needs a little rest.

Cleaning that closet was the beginning of a new me.  Now I will be able to find my walking clothes, grab my shoes and head to the basement.  Everything is in balance.

Oh dear.   I think the lamp table is on the wrong side of the chair.....

No comments:

Post a Comment