Thursday, October 24, 2013

When a Doctor Smiles--Beware!

When a Doctor Smiles--Beware!

In the past I have listened to folks talk about sinus infections.  Have had a few myself.  Nothing to worry about.  Well, this time it has been quite different.  I will be more empathetic to others when they share they have one of those infections.

Two weeks ago it began.  Headache.  Horrid cough.  Head felt like it was as big as a blown up balloon.   Since it is cold season, I diagnosed it as the first cold of the season.  Green tea, rest and an aspirin or two was my medicine of choice.  Drank barrels of green tea.  While I love it, it didn't seem to make any difference in the level of the "cold."  Rest was lovely, but it didn't seem to take the edge off, either.  Maybe I had forgotten how to treat a cold.

About a week went by, and things got worse.  As a last resort and following a directive from a friend, I visited a doctor.  My diagnosis was incorrect.  It always is.  I try to save money and time and pain by deciding what is wrong with me.  The correct diagnosis was a major sinus infection.

An antibiotic and nasal spray would do the trick.  Happy to know what the real challenge was, I drove through the drive-through window at the pharmacy, picked up my meds and headed home.  This was going to be a piece of cake. Take the meds and use the spray, and I would be healed soon.

A week later I was back at the doctor's office.  Things weren't going well.  Cough was limiting my sleep to about two hours a night.  Now the cough med was added, and the antibiotic was changed.   But what, I wondered, would restore the hearing to my right ear?

A week later another visit but this visit was to an ear/nose/throat doctor.  Sinus infection was now under control.  However, if anyone wishes me to hear what they are saying, they have to stand on my left side.  The doctor and I talked about what was happening in my head.  He did a few tests and then came the one that was new to me.

He sprayed something that tasted awful.  He told me that he was going to take a look.  Take a look?  Where?  My palms were beginning to get sweaty.  I knew whatever was about to happen would not be pleasant.  He left me in the room while the numbing process did its thing.  During that time alone, I knew I was in trouble.  Maybe I could sneak out of the room.  Probably not as the nurses station was just to the left of the door.  So, I tried to gather all the courage in my body in preparation for what was to come.

Eventually, he returned.  He was a friendly fellow.   He walked to the table that has all the instruments of torture laying side by side.  He didn't take one of those.  Instead, he opened a drawer and withdrew a long--and I mean long--instrument.  It was flexible.  Looked kinda like a small  hose.  I think there was a light on the end of it.  The end that would be inserted into my nose.  Oh my gosh.  This was not going to be a party.  As he turned to face me with that thing, I told him I have no courage.  That I am flat out a coward.  He smiled and said he understood.  He said there should be no pain as it was deadened.

I didn't believe him.  I know what doctors say.  Once a doctor told me that the shot he was about to give me in my shoulder would not hurt.  If I could have smacked him, I would have.  But, the needle was deep in my shoulder so I simply told him that he had lied to me.  He smiled.  What is with that smile?

I closed my eyes as he walked towards me.  Then it began.  He said it would feel strange, but there should be no pain.  After a bit, he hit sensitive places, and I started to wiggle.  I told him it was hurting.  Maybe by telling him this, he would call the whole thing off.  But, no.  In another room there was a smaller one with my name on it.  After pulling it out of my nose, he left to retrieve the smaller one.  Joy!

We did the procedure all over.  When it was finished, he said my ear drum is red.  Really?  I could have told him that!  End result is this: I am to continue to use the spray for a month.  After a month, if the ear still has no hearing, they will insert a tube.  Or if the day comes when I can no longer deal with the deafness and the side of my head feeling like it is swollen, they will do the tubes earlier.

As I write this, I can not hear much.  But it is not life threatening.  It is simply an eardrum that has fluid behind it.  Actually, I maybe able to use this condition to my advantage.  When my husband asks me to do something I would rather not do,  I can simply "not hear."  Wonder how long I can get by with that?:)

If you are out there suffering with a sinus infection, you have my deepest sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment