Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Ten Rules for Living

Ten Rules for Living--

In the book The Happiness Project,  the author Gretchen Rubin writes about her ten rules for making decisions and setting priorities.  She says these rules are ever present.  Her ten rules belong to her.  She decided on them after examining her life and the way in which she approaches decision making.

My son, Matthew, gave the book to me for Christmas a few years ago.  It was a good gift choice.  I love to read, and this book was inspiring.  I read it, and then put it in the book case.  A few weeks ago I saw it there.  It seemed to be calling my name.  So, I removed it from the shelf and sat down with a cup of coffee to review her points.

I think we all have set some priorities in how we deal with the world and the people we meet and live with.  It would be my guess that we don't take the time to write them down.  As I read, it became apparent to me that I should think about this and write my own priorities in a journal.  Somehow the process of writing things down makes them more real.  I guess that is why I never want to keep a food diary.  I will "know" what I eat in a day!!

To start the process, I asked myself if I really do have rules that are important to me.  It was necessary to eliminate some of the thoughts that appeared.  But, as I continued to examine my own life, several appeared that were always present in my life.  They are the ones that are important to me all the time.  Let me share them with you.

Rule 1--Family is my priority.
Rule 2--Do the best I can in all things.
Rule 3--Be willing to change.
Rule 4--Accept challenges as a path to growth.
Rule 5--Be on time.
Rule 6--Eat no gluten.
Rule 7--Stay in touch with friends.
Rule 8--Try new things often.
Rule 9--Smile more than frown.
Rule 10-Listen well.

This is a random list.  All are equally important with the exception of Rule 1 which is always Rule 1.

Do you have a list for decision making and setting priorities?  My educated guess is you do.  Like me, you have probably not taken the time to write the list down.  Maybe now that I have shared, you will examine your own rules for living.  They are part of our definition. Perhaps you will want to share with your children--young or grown.  We all need to be reminded about the important things in our lives.

Ready?  Grab a pen, paper and your beverage of choice.  Settle into your favorite chair for reading and writing.  Number the paper 1-10 or whatever your number is.  Let your thoughts flow.

Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment