Saturday, November 1, 2014

Hopes and Dreams

Hopes and Dreams


Hopes and dreams.  We hear much about these two words.  I believe they have the power to move us to places we never thought we could go.  Yet a challenge comes with those words.

Let's say we have a dream.  Let's say we truly believe we can achieve it with time, energy, work and maybe a little luck.  Years ago in a discussion with people over dinner I used the word luck.  I was immediately answered with another person's belief.  There is no such thing as luck, I was told.  Since the belief was so strong, I didn't move forward with the conversation.  It would have proved futile.  Back to the original idea.

When we dream about what we would like to see happen in our lives or the lives of people we care about,  we have hope that those dreams will become reality.

But, life happens.  Dreams that seemed so wonderful get lost in the muck and mire of life.  We get sidetracked.  Dreams die and hope goes along with it.  If we are lucky--fortunate--we might be able to regroup and reclaim what we believe we have lost.  Sometimes we can.  Often we can't.
At times like this it is good to think about what is temporary and what is eternal.

Rather than getting bogged down in disappointment, another strategy might be to evaluate what our dreams are.  If we are able to achieve our dreams, what does that mean for the people in our lives?  Will time away from those precious people we love be worth the end result?  Or are we  bringing them along on the journey?  You know, nothing is as important as our people.  They are the eternal piece of life's puzzle.

Our world explodes with everything materialistic.  I have been thinking about this lately.  What truly matters in my life?  What will make an eternal difference?  Will anyone really notice the brand name on my shoes?  Or my coat?  Or my car?  If they do, it will be only a cursory glance.  The reason  this is so is because there will be another new brand of shoes, coats and cars.  Please understand that I like new shoes, coats, cars, furniture, jewelry just as much as the next person.  It only becomes a challenge when things become more important than people.  I am fortunate.  My life is surrounded by family and dear friends who understand  this.

A way to gauge this would be to examine our lives and see how much time is devoted to temporary things.  Certainly we all have work to do.  We all have to show up at work and perform.  I just bet that everyone reading these words spends a large part of their working day caring for other people.  Either people who share their work space or people who provide services we all need.  I truly believe that most people are caring folks.  They understand that a kind word, a hug, a caring spirit is what makes this world go round and round and round.

Well, I think I have strayed a bit.  But, life is like that.  Many times dreams don't follow a straight line.  Sometimes the road to the goal circles back before moving forward.  Dreams help us be creative.  They help us see how to solve a challenging situation.  Embrace your dream/s.  Welcome them into your life. They may provide the impetus for something wonderful that has eternal value.

Dream Big!

No comments:

Post a Comment