Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Need a Renovation?

Need a Renovation?

Ever think you need a renovation?  Seems like everything in our world is renovated at least two or three times.  What was old becomes new again.  Or so they say.  I think it is a vicious cycle.  Those in control of the trendy colors, furniture, appliances and everything else that is part of a house know how to get into our pocketbooks.  First, they make us doubt.  We begin to  think about what could be more modern in our house.  It might begin by spending time in home decor magazines.  Doesn't take long for what we saw to become what we need.  At that point it is all over.

Our house needed so much work when we purchased it.  Over the years we have done a little here and a little there.  We have changed colors, changed flooring, changed windows, added to.  It actually would have been easier to buy a new home.  I do think about that.  A new home with large rooms.  What joy to have multiple seating areas.  Or to have a real dining room.  Or bedrooms that are spacious and gracious.

But, we are probably here for the long haul.  We love our little place in the country.  Warts and all.  Small rooms and all.  It is true.  We may have reached the end of renovations...

What about you and me?  Do we ever think we need a renovation?  Would a little tuck here and there make us better?  Bring us to a better place in life?  What about a face lift?  Would that  make us young again?  Would our new face match our hands or arms or neck?  Guess the neck can be done when the face is pulled tightly behind our ears.  What about boobs?  Are we sexy when our girls are lifted?

If I weren't so afraid of surgery, I might decide to pick a couple of those mentioned things and go for it. But the thought of surgery makes my blood run cold.  If changing yourelf makes you feel better, I say go for it.  I will watch you do it.  I will tell you how wonderful you look.  I will celebrate with you.  And then I will look in the mirror and sigh.  The wrinkles are getting deeper.  Bags are more difficult to camouflague.  Laugh lines outline my eyes.  Sigh...

Yes, I could use a renovation.  However, more important than the outward self is the inner self.  That is where the real work begins.  Prejudices that I know are just under the skin need to be cut away.  Criticism about things I don't understand or agree with has the power to take over my thoughts at times.  Those are just two of the projects I can take on at any time.  They are outdated.  They are not trendy.  Actually, I do work on those and others.  Just like my house, when I stand back and observe, I see areas that need a little lift.  Need to be updated.  Need to be replaced.  For me, that is where the real work lies.

Absolutely I will use creams.  I will cleanse.  I will moisturize.  I will use age fighting cosmetics.  Why not?  I do want to put my best face forward.  I love it when someone tells me I am aging well.  Even when they aren't wearing their glasses.

Renovation gives us the opportunity to make changes.  To rethink how we want something to look.
To update so that our life is enriched.  To take something worn and replace it with something new.  And just as our homes are never finished, neither are we.  We can always be better.  We can always make changes that draw people to us rather than repel them.  We can examine our lives with a critical eye and then use what we learned to give ourselves a fresh start.

It takes a plan.  First, we see what is.  Then, we decide what to do to make things better,  Finally, we do the work to make the change a reality.  After all the work, it is time to sit back and enjoy the new and improved--home and self.

No comments:

Post a Comment