Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What We Love--What We Grieve

What We Love-What We Grieve--

Aren't people just the best?  While I love chocolate, skinny vanilla lattes, classical piano, crisp autumn days and so much more, my absolute favorite thing in this world is people.

I love friendly nods from strangers as we meet one another entering a store.  I love hugs from friends when we say hi and when we say goodbye.  I love grandchildren who are the light of my life.  I love times shared with friends over a cup of coffee.  I love sharing a bottle of wine--yes, a bottle--with a friend as we talk and talk and talk.  I love emails from people I cherish.  I love sending emails to friends and family sharing life stories.  I love making new friends anywhere I find myself.  I love listening without thinking about my response.  I love watching others do kindness when they don't know they are being watched.  You know what I mean.  A parent teaching a child and using such tenderness and kindness to do it.

I don't love saying goodbye to people I love.  Saying goodbye leaves a hole deep inside. I know you don't either.  We remember the sound of their laughter.  We remember the sound of their voice. We remember the twinkle in their eye when they were extremely happy. We remember the struggles and challenges that were part of their life.  We remember how they filled a room with their being.  We remember their thoughtful questions and loving spirit.

We might also remember that we were on their short list once in awhile.  Maybe we did something or said something that made them look sideways at us.  Maybe they disapproved of a decision.  But, we always knew they loved us.  We always knew we had a spot in their heart and life.  We always knew.

I don't want to say goodbye to Susie tomorrow.  I really don't.  I want her to come to book study and share her life with us some more.  I want her to tell us about her flying experiences.  I want to learn about her gardens.  We have that in common. We spent time talking about plants.  I shared with her that I have at least 500 hosta.  She had them, too, in the yard of the house before this one.  I want to hear stories about her puppy-the one that ate my book.  Yes, he did.

But, that won't happen.  Others have left too soon, too.  I miss them.  What I will remember is how fun they all were.  How tickled I was to spend a little time with them.  How much I learned from each one.

So, since there is no choice, I will remember fondly the times spent. The smile.  The twinkle in the eye. The hand thrown up waving goodbye.  And my heart will rejoice because I knew the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment