Sunday, November 2, 2014

My Friend, Susie

My Friend Susie

Yesterday my friend, Susie, died.

Life is so interesting.  Sometimes we know people for years and years.  Sometimes we know them for only a moment but feel we have known them forever.

I met Susie on her driveway.  I was driving in circles in a neighborhood looking for a particular street.  After ten or so minutes of looking, I saw a woman walking to her mailbox.  I stopped and explained that I was looking for a street but couldn't find it.  She said she had a map of the neighborhood and would bring it out.  Over the hood of my car, we located the street.

But as often happens, we began a conversation.  We talked about flowers, plants, neighborhoods.  Eventually we got around to discussing why I was looking for that street.  I explained that I was delivering one of my books.  She asked if I had one to show her.  I did.  And she bought it.  Later she bought the first one I wrote.

Months later she shared with me that she read an essay every morning when she had her quiet Bible time.  She said she had read the books three times each already.  I was so honored that I asked her to write a review for my new book which comes out in mid November.  She wrote a lovely review.

Tonight I sent an email to remind her to come for pizza tomorrow.  She and I are in a book study group.  Her husband sent an email asking me to call.  Susie died yesterday morning shortly after getting out of bed.  He believes she had a massive heart attack.  There was no warning.  One minute she was with us.  The next she was gone from us.

I am so grateful for the time we had as friends.  We shared much in a very short time.  We laughed and talked about many things.   And I am reminded, once again, that life is a gift.  She was a gift.

So..love on those who are precious to you.  Greet strangers with kindness.  Be grateful for all the good that is in your life and embrace the challenges.  They grow us into the people we were meant to be.

Good night, Susie.

2 comments:

  1. Sondra, thank you for writing this. I am Susie's other daughter. She told me about meeting you and that it was such a "God thing". She said the timing was just right that she was at the street and you were lost and that she met you. She sent me your Wisdom Thoughts book. I would like to get the new book with the review in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I enjoyed Susie so much. Yes, it was a God thing for sure. I will be delighted to mail a copy of my book that contains her review. It makes my heart smile to have her review in my book. Please friend me on facebook. We can communnicate there. Or if you would rather, I will send my email address. Thank you for your words and I appreciate you reading my blogs. I wish we had met at her celebration of life.

    ReplyDelete