Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Friend Coming for Lunch

My Friend Coming for Lunch--

I enjoy being alone.  It gives the opportunity to think and create.  It allows time to just be in a world that tells us just being might not be enough.  I am aware of my own thoughts when I take time to be alone.  I hear myself better.

But, it is such fun to have a friend come for lunch!  Enough of the quiet--let's have some laughs over a meal.  Let's talk about the moments of our lives.  The daily living things.  What is happening with our kids, our spouses, our careers, our yards, our churches.  And what is happening with us.

We tend to talk around ourselves, don't we?  It is difficult to let the facade down and trust another person with the deep challenges.  It is much easier to ask questions and listen.  Must less revealing than to let another person know how troubled we are.  Or how stressed we are.  We don't wish to share that we have been hurt by life or people.  That we are not all we seem to be.

Really?  Exactly who are we fooling?  Friends can take one look in our faces and see the real us.  That is a wonderful thing.  Friends who honestly care and know us want to share our lives--the good and the not so good.  They are not frightened off by our failings.  They love us through them.

Maybe we need to learn to trust another person with ourselves.  Oh--that is so difficult.  We fear rejection when we allow ourselves to share our true thoughts with another person.  I know this.  It has happened to me.  From that experience I learned a most valuable lesson--rather I was reminded of the lesson I already knew.   Be wise about the person/people you trust with your thoughts and beliefs.

So, my friend is coming for lunch.  She and I talk about everything.  We do not put up any walls.  We don't always agree--isn't that great?   We challenge one another to think in new ways.  We sometimes change our minds about something we have held as truth for a long time.  This is a growing relationship.  We don't simply parrot back to one another what we want to hear.  We share from a deep place that is sometimes quite different.  She is a joy.

We will talk about the weather,  our yards, our kids.  We will laugh about some of the goofy things we have done since we last had lunch that are silly and fun.  We will hug when we see one another.  We will make a date to do this again.

And my heart will rejoice knowing that friendship is such a sweet thing!

Love, peace and lemonade!
(I borrowed this from a friend!)




2 comments:

  1. I love to read your posts Sondra. Enjoy your lunch with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! And thank you for letting me know that you are enjoying the posts. I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete