Monday, May 6, 2013

The Daily Walk

The Daily Walk--


Now that spring is in the process of arriving,  life is happening in new ways around our place.

As soon as I can open my eyes and get myself in an upright position, I head outside for the walk-around.  What is a walk-around?  It is the morning walk around our property to see what has happened since I did the same walk the day before.  It is a way to gauge the effect spring is having on plants and flowers in our gardens.  Here is today's report.

All 500+ hosta are singing the praises of warm weather and rain.   Many are approaching full growth while others are like me in the early morning--stretching a bit at a time.  They will arrive at their full growth when they want to.  I like that.  Not all of them springing out of the ground to the same medley. When they first appeared as spears just above the dirt, I wondered how they knew it was time.  I was wearing a coat, long pants and socks.  Definitely not spring attire.  But there they were--convinced it was their time to shine.  It won't be long until the gardens are full to overflowing with beautiful leaves in a multitude of colors and textures.  Welcome, hosta.

At the edge of one garden grew a large hydrangea bush.  No blooms for years.  This spring we dug it and transplanted it.  Now, it is not easy to dig a hydrangea.  The root system goes to the next state, I am sure.  My thought is maybe it is in the wrong place?  You think??  When we finally got it out of the ground, it broke into two very large pieces.  We transplanted it to a new location and new foliage is everywhere.  Very exciting to see what happens as it reaches its full growth.  Maybe there will be blossoms.  That would be such a treat.

Winter is hard here in Illinois.  On my walk-around this morning I noticed holes in the beds.  That simply cannot be.  A trip to the nursery is on my schedule.  I will find low growing shrubs that will fill in those areas where ground cover is not covering anything.  Slowly I am moving from flowers to shrubs.  Shrubs seem to last much longer than those delicate early flowering plants.  I will miss their color, but it will be easier on my pocketbook.

Just outside my front door are two very large winter arrangements in tall red containers.  My front door is red so it goes together well.  However, the dead evergreen limbs that once were deep green are now dirt brown.  Not pretty at all.  I was ready to throw them all away and replace with large ferns for summer when I noticed a bird had built her nest in the one on the right side of the door.  There went that idea.  Everyone else has lovely spring or summer arrangements on their steps or door.  I have dead winter.  The baby birds have now hatched and are hungry all the time.  Once they make their way into the world, I will make the change from winter to spring at my door.  Why couldn't she have built that nest in a less busy spot?   I will never understand the mind of birds!

About a foot from the bird nest was a pile of leaves in my plant bed.  Reaching over to clean the bed, I realized that it was a rabbit's nest.  Right by the door.  I patted her fur into place and left them to grow large enough to eat my plants.  Or maybe I will take them on a little trip to a forest where they can nibble away at all things protected!  It is like a zoo at this place.

Last week there were five quite large deer eating away.  Since they were on the edge of the yard, I didn't run at them like a mad woman.  I think they might have been grazing on the bluebells.  There are thousands of bluebells on this place.  We can spare a few.

We have a breezeway on the front of our house.  A bird has built a nest that looks like a column at the top of a window in that area of the house.  Mud is splattered on that window.  It looks like it has been dive bombed.  And speaking of dive bombing, once Mother Robin has her nest built and the children are awake begging for food, she will dive bomb us if we walk anywhere near her nest.  Sometimes I feel like we are captives all year--by winter weather and then by nature that lives with us!

Ferns are gracing the beds.  They add a touch of lace to the broad leaves.  A lovely contrast.  Shooting Stars, Trillium, Blood Root, Spring Beauty, Trout Lily, Lily of the Valley and many other early wildflowers are showing themselves.  Soon others will replace them.  It is an absolute joy to see them emerge.  When the weather warms just a bit more,  Queen Ann's Lace will appear.  I love that plant.  Not in my plant beds but along the road side.  I can't remember the weed that grows with Queen Ann's Lace--it has a small blue flower and grows alongside the paved road.  I know tea can be made by boiling its root.  Anyway, I love that plant.  It needs no care whatsoever.

It is time to do some foundation planting.  Have some shrubs to plant later today when I return from my book study.  All beds need to be edged.  Weeds dug out.  The ritual of spring in the garden is here.  Last year we were on a garden walk.  It was the hottest day of the year!  Yet, people came.  We have much shade so they could be out of the blazing sun.  It was a joy to share our gardens with them.  I think that might be the only time we do that.  I tend to overlook a few weeds and such in my gardens.  However, if others will come to see them, I examine those same beds in a completely different light.  So, once was enough.

Many of the flowering trees are wearing their spring color.  Just beautiful.  Pinks, reds, white, purple--all blossoming together.  Every spring when they bloom, I want to rush to the nursery and buy ten more trees that will bloom next spring.  Then I realize there is no space for another tree.  If you are reading this, stop and go outside.  Look.  Examine.  Smell.  Touch.  The days for those trees to shine are numbered.  Don't miss their glory.  You really are not so busy that you can't find five minutes to fill your soul with their gift.

Years ago I planted Money Plant.  It is an old plant.  Very difficult to locate in nurseries.  I have it in abundance.  The seeds are carried by wind, shoes and birds.  So, it appears in the most unlikely places. The purple blossoms are gorgeous right now in the garden.  Soon they will disappear and the plant will produce "money."  I love that plant.  Never water it.  Just let it grow.

Gardens are so personal.  Everyone has an opinion about how a garden should look.  Gardens give people a chance to create.  Mine change all the time.  And I think those changes make it better.  Gardeners know that just because a plant is in the ground doesn't mean it is in the best place.  So, we move things.  Many times.  Gardens evolve just as the people who tend them evolve.  It is a partnership.

And now I am going to make the list of plants and shrubs to be purchased at the nursery today.  It is going to be a busy afternoon of planting and cleaning.  Tomorrow when I do the walk-around, I will know that those holes are filled and be glad!

So nice to visit with you on this lovely spring morning.  Have a wonderful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment