Sunday, May 26, 2013

This Day Calls Us

This Day Calls Us--


This day calls you and me.  Do we recognize its call?

Calls come when we are listening, and when we are not.  It is possible they interrupt our routine thus causing us to miss them.  The volume might be turned down--that would be the volume in our heads.  Perhaps the call is one that we do not recognize.  We might choose to ignore a call we do not recognize.

It could be we recognize the call, but it holds no interest for us.  We make the decision to wait for the next call that has a better chance of catching our imagination.

What are these calls?  Well, they could be a thought.  Suddenly our mind is flooded with a thought that won't go away.   For instance, the thought might suggest a new direction.  That happened to me once.  Alone in my house, I heard a voice--a thought?--suggesting I call a radio station.  I wrote about this in my book. (You can buy one to learn about that call!)  The end result of that call led me into a new experience.  And it was a wonderful experience.  My choice to answer that call was one of the blessings of my life.

Maybe the call is to explore our own space.  To see it with new eyes.  To appreciate it.  Most of us do not live in mansions.  Perhaps there are areas of our space in dire need of repair.  When I was teaching, I never really saw all the things that needed attention in our home.  But, when summer arrived, I saw them.  In fact, I saw those areas much more than I saw the good.  All those areas within my space drove me to distraction until they were made right.   An important call for me to answer is the call that urges me to paint a picture on the land around our home.  Creating beauty with plants, trees and shrubs is a call that I cannot ignore.  There is a peaceful feeling that covers my being when I discover a plant flowering, a wildflower blooming, new growth on shrubs.

How about the space inside our heads?  Do we feel a call to understand others?  Do we continue to grow in knowledge?  Are we kind?  Do we feel called to forgive even when it is the most difficult thing we have ever done?  That space inside our head has great power.  It can deceive us.  Yes, it can.  With what do we fill our head?  Whatever that is, it will spill out into our daily lives.

It could be a nagging.  This call has an urgency to it.  It is attempting to get our attention.  Maybe someone is sick, and we have felt a nagging to visit.  We may have put that off--pushed it into the back of our minds because we really don't want to do that.  Or maybe it is a chore we have ignored.  We are very aware that it is waiting to be completed.  Or maybe we are being called to touch base with someone who needs our call.  What shall we do with that nagging?

Could it be the call is urging us to take better care of ourselves?  This call is a reminder that we are making choices about our lives.  What we eat, how often we exercise both our bodies and our minds.   So many calls.  I will think about the calls I hear in my life.  I will think about the ones I respond to, and the ones I don't.  I think that will tell me much about myself.

I hear sleep calling to me right now.  I will answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment