Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Holiday Thoughts

Holiday Thoughts--

The trees are up and decorated.  Holiday decorations are setting around the house.  A few gifts are purchased.   Tiny white lights circle the green garland that graces our front door.  Yes, the house is ready for Christmas.

I am ready, too.  I am ready to make someone happy.  Ready to share life.  Ready to meet friends I haven't seen in awhile for coffee.  We will enjoy sharing our lives, hopes and dreams.  Ready to search for the perfect gift for my special people.  Ready to sit in my house and be still.  And did I mention ready to listen to beautiful Christmas music?  Music touches my soul.  I like it all.  Music sung by our church choir, music performed by orchestras, music sung by my favorite artists.  And then there's my birthday which is just before Christmas Day.  It's great the way the world decorates for my birthday!

Holiday food is the absolute best.  Cookies, cookies, cookies!  What a treat for children to cut gingerbread men from dough.  And what fun to decorate them.  I remember my grandmother's peanut brittle.  She only made it during the holidays.  Sweet memories.

Because the weather is cold where I live during winter, hot chocolate is an everyday occurance.  So is hot apple cider.  When cider is heating on the stove, it sends its sweet aroma all through the house.  Oh, how delicious it is.  A true holiday treat.  It seems everyone is in the mood for the sights, sounds and smells of Christmas.

People seem a little kinder.  It is not unusual for strangers to open doors for shoppers whose arms are piled high with treasure.  And even though clerks are tired, they continue to wish everyone a good day. I have yet to meet a grumpy clerk.  I try to remember to thank them for being so helpful to me.  Everyone needs to be thanked, don't they?  Especially at this time of year.

I think we see one another through different eyes during the holiday season.  Hopefully, old grudges are forgotten if only for the season.  A thankful attitude takes front and center as we celebrate with those we love.  Yes, there are those we love who are no longer with us.  The loss of special people is especially hurtful during the Christmas season.  Hopefully there are friends and family who will help us navigate these difficult times.  No one can remove the saddness, but people who love us can walk this walk with us.

Each day I ask God to make me aware of how precious life is.  I ask to be reminded to be thankful, grateful, and kind.  I ask for an extra dose of understanding.  I ask to have eyes to see those ways I can  help another.  I ask to be sensitive to others.  And I thank God for those people who come into my life to help me navigate my journey.  They are my Christmas gifts.

Christmas is here.  It won't be perfect.  But it will be special.  We will love a little more on one another and say it was good.




No comments:

Post a Comment