Friday, December 20, 2013

Saturday's Word--

Saturday's Word--

"Are  you nuts?  Rest during this season?"  That is what I imagine  you said when you read the word for today.  And, I think you might be right!

Today a friend told me she was so tired and would be glad when the holiday is over.  She needs rest.  Rest for her body and mind.   And let's not forget the pocketbook.  That little thing takes a beating during this  season.  At least mine does.

Another friend told me about standing in line at a store to pay for her purchases.  She said the woman in front of her was really crabby.  She said the woman was not being very nice or understanding to  the clerk who was doing the best she could.  She said she smiled at her and tried to be cheerful.  It didn't work.  When the transaction was finished, and it was my friend's turn, she said the clerk walked from behind the counter and thanked her for trying to cheer the woman up.  My guess is she was worn to a frazzle.  I am not sure what a frazzle is, but I don't think it is a good thing.  She was probably tired of standing in lines, trying to find something for people, feeling trapped into living outside her comfort zone.  I would guess she needs rest.

I had a  delightful experience in a store today.  An employee approached me and offered to show me all the sales items.  The store was packed.  Yet, she took the time to help me locate items of interest to me.  She was friendly and fun.  She seemed rested.  I loved the time we spent together.  She had a cheerful disposition.   In those few shared  minutes she made a positive impression on me.  I hope our paths cross again.

What makes one person crabby and another cheerful?   Does rest play a role in the difference?  Maybe. I would like to think so.  However, it seems some folks are just plain cranky by nature.  Those cranky people can be pretty funny without intending to be.  But, a little of them goes a long, long way.  Even rested, they are frightful.  We all can be cranky at times.  Most of us regain our positive dispositions after a good night's rest.  How miserable to live in "cranky skin."  Miserable for everyone.

When we rest, we give our bodies and minds time to recover from the day.  We give ourselves time to relax.  That relaxation helps us face the new whatevers that come our way.  Without it, we walk on edge.  And God help anyone who crosses us.  Our eyes get squinty, our voice a tad bit shrill and our bodies rigid.  That paints a great picture, right?

It has been my experience that after resting, I think more clearly.  Maybe I went to bed having a conversation with myself about something bothersome.  When I wake, often new ideas floor my mind.  It's as if I turned loose of the challenge, and once I gave it over, a solution appeared.  Kinda out of the blue.  Or was it?  It could be that once I stopped dwelling on the issues, my mind cleared.  New thoughts came.  New possibilities appeared.  A God thing?  Could be.

Rest helps keep the wrinkles away, Ladies.  When we are tense, our faces show it first.  I really dislike that.  Why can't the wrinkles appear on my wrist?  Or my thigh?  Heaven knows there is much more room there than on the face!:)  But, no.  Our faces show our lack of rest.  Our eyes look droopy.  Our mouth tenses.  Lines appear between our brows.  How lovely.  Seems to me we need to give some thought to rest just to keep ourselves presentable!

We all know that rest is essential to our well being.  This season will pass.  On the morning of the 26th the world will sigh a collective sigh.  We made it through another holiday season.  Only 364 days utiil the next one.  Rest a bit on that day, and then hit those sales!!

Rest.  All of you.  Everyone will like you much better if you are rested and nice!!:)

Ok.  Time for the next word.  Let's go with sharing.  I am sharing with you that I am tired.  I need rest.  Think it is time to head to bed.  And while I am sleeping, sharing will roll around in my brain.  I fully expect to awaken tomorrow with great insight into sharing!

Take good care.

No comments:

Post a Comment