Monday, December 23, 2013

Tuesday's Word--

Tuesday's Word--

Early this morning I faced the cold and went shopping.  Yes, it was so very cold.  But there were things to do and a little shopping left.  So, pulling on my warm coat and gloves, out the door I went in search of treasure.

The first stop was at my favorite garden shop.  My hand was reaching for the door when all of a sudden it swung open.  One of the women who works there saw me coming and opened the door for me.  Feeling like a queen, I twirled into the shop.  The twirling was followed by laughter as other clerks saw the grand entrance.  It only got better.  I shopped and found exactly what I was looking for.   I usually do in this particular business.   The owner even adjusted a very large box to fit one of my purchases.  What a lovely thing to do.  Another customer was paying for his purchases as I approached the counter.  I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I suggested he sing happy birthday to me.  He burst into song! A total stranger in a business sang happy birthday to me.  What absolute fun.  He said his mother's birthday is Christmas Day.  And then others shared family holiday birthdays.  As he passed me on the way out the door, he touched my shoulder and wished me a happy birthday again.  Did I feel included in the joy of the moment?  You bet I did.

During one of my stops, a former student saw me and came over to say hello and wish me a happy birthday.  She is an absolute joy.  Without her this blog never would have materialized.  She and I had a wonderful visit.  She is a mommy of two, and I just know she is a great mommy.  From where I was sitting, I would never have seen her.  She saw me and included me in her day.  It was such a joy to spend a little time visiting with her.  Another "being included" moment.

A good friend stopped by.  She brought delicious homemade cookies.  They were fabulous!  And she also brought a happy birthday gift.  The best part was the visit.  She is a gift I give myself.  We always find things to talk about.  Even though she is a very busy person, she took the time to come see me today.  I felt included in her life.  She certainly didn't have to take time away from her day, but she did.

Many wishes came via the internet along with cards.  With a push of a key people wished me a happy birthday.  I appreciate the effort they took to send a message.  I loved having each of them included in my day.

Dinner with my family capped the day.  All day I felt included in the rich flow of life.  It was a wonderful feeling.

At some point a thought ran through my mind about inclusion.  I wondered if there were people watching the fun of my day wishing it was their experience.  I have had that feeling.  There have been times in my life when I felt left out.  When I wished someone would notice me.  Times when I would give almost anything to be included in a group or event.  I well remember the hurt feeling, the sick feeling in my stomach.  Those moments of despair are good teachable moments.  From those moments we can learn to make sure others never feel left out.  We can offer ourselves to those who might be on the fringe.  Not out of pity, but out of the knowledge that everyone has a place. Everyone has a belonging.

Sometimes we simply forget to reach out.  It is not intentional.  It just happens.  But, it doesn't have to happen often.

During holiday times many people feel alone.  Even those who are surrounded by family and friends.  The hype that accompanies the holidays shows people together at parties having fun, people engaging in conversation, people shopping together, laughing together.  But the truth is for most of us the holidays are not filled with multiple parties and events.  If we get caught up in what the the media says we should be doing, we will become even more miserable.  We will feel completely left out.

I think the thing we need to do is strike a healthy balance.  We can do that by inviting friends for dinner or coffee.  we can do that by spending time with our families.  We can do that by spending time alone reflecting on what we need in our lives to feel secure in our relationships.  We can talk to a stranger while waiting in a line.  We can move ourselves into the world and reap the benefits of the joy it brings us.  An example of this happened tonight.

After the family dinner, we went to a store to pick up a few last minute items.  We found a line that was a little less than a mile long and entered it.  In front of us was a man in a motorized wheel chair.  He was a bit elderly.  The woman in front of him paid her bill and left the shopping cart right in front of him.  I saw he was struggling to move the cart so I walked in front of him and pushed it away.  He was very pleased that someone noticed his need.  Then I told him I would help unload his cart.  When he finished his purchases, he turned around to me, smiled and said thank you.  The clerk smiled at me, too.  Such a simple thing to do. Took no effort at all.  I relate this to say he felt included in a moment of friendship.  So did I.

We are here.  It will be Christmas when I write the next blog.  I have enjoyed the exercise of writing about a word, and what it might mean.  I realize I have only touched the surface of the meanings.  But, at least it is a start.  Maybe something you read started a thought within you.  That would be great!

I am struggling with the next word.  Maybe anticipation.  That speaks to me on many levels.  I think that might be it.  Anticipation.

I anticipate a lovely day tomorrow as we prepare for Christmas Day.  And I anticipate sharing my experiences with you, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment