Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Thursday's Word


Thursday's Word--

Wednesday is almost over, and it is time to take a few minutes to review my word of the day--patience.

Patience and I don't always work hand in hand.  In fact, patience and I find ourselves on opposite sides of life quite often.  Like when the car in front of me at the coffee drive-thru puts down roots at the ordering place.  Honestly, I always know what my drink will be way before I drive into that line.  What is that about??  And when the person who works the window hangs outside that window and engages in conversation with the car in front of me, I must confess I get a little impatient.  That's when the thoughts about whether to tip or not to tip becomes a serious thought.  Not good.

Just today I was in line at another drive-thru.  The car in front sat at the order place for hours.  Well, perhaps not that long.  But it seemed that long!:)  Once the person ordered, the car didn't move.  Not one inch.  My hand was making its was to the horn..and then I remembered that I was working on my word of the day.  Shoot!!:)  Forced me to rethink my almost actions.  I am a better person for that moment of remembering.

I took my husband to the hospital for a test today.  Everyone who helped us was wonderful.  Patience wasn't even a needed virtue.

Patience or the lack of it is something many of us struggle with every day.  We struggle to show patience in stores, with our spouse or partner, with our children and with those at work. When I experience impatience, it is physical.  My body becomes a bit rigid.  Sometime my voice moves up a few keys.  The eyes dart about.  Responses are quick and curt.  Yes, body language gives away my lack of patience.   That is something I might place on a "needs work" list.  One action that causes my impatience to jump to the red level is when we are ready to leave the house.  Coat on, keys and purse in hand,  tv turned off--and he has forgotten his wallet, his glasses, his whatever.  That drives me to distraction.  Yes, I have a few things to work on where patience is concerned!:)

Even with the few irritations, it was a very good day.  Working with a word each day has given me a little more direction to my life.  I am more aware of the way I respond to situations.  Sometimes I am pleased.  Sometime not.

So, here we are making the decision about tomorrow's word.  So many good ones.

I think I will select happiness.   Yes, happiness shall be the word for Thursday.   I do know that many do not find happiness at Christmas time.  I suppose there are many reasons for that.  However, I still think happiness is the word.  Maybe if we all look deep within ourselves, we will find some part of the holidays that brings happiness to us.  Happiness might come simply by enjoying time with family and friends.  It's not up to me how others  find happiness during this season.  But, maybe because we are looking for it, it will come as a wonderful surprise!

Happiness.  Can't wait to see how much I see and feel tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment