Monday, December 16, 2013

Tuesday's Word--


Tuesday's Word--

I have been anticipating this blog all day.  Thought you might enjoy something I read in the Urban Dictionary about anticipation.  "The feeling you feel when you feel you're going to feel a feeling you've never felt before."  Wow!  That about says it all.

When we anticipate something, we are preparing for it to happen.  For instance, when I know company is coming, I anticipate a wonderful time.  I think about the people who will grace my home.  I think about who they are, and how they bring new dimensions to my life.  It makes my heart smile to know that within a few hours we will be visiting.  Maybe sitting in the back room or standing around the food on the counter.  I can see in my mind's eye what it will be like when they arrive.  There is comfort in that.  It is like a worn slipper.

Occasionally things don't go as I anticipate they will.  When that happens, I am forced to rethink.  Maybe the change had nothing to do with me.  Nevertheless, I have to redirect my expectation.  That is life happening.

Today I anticipated purchasing socks and gloves for a giving tree at our church.  When that was accomplished, I anticipated the discussion in the Monday book study group.  I have been a member of this group for over two years.  Each Monday I know I will learn something new or be forced to examine some views that have been part of me for a long time.  I anticipate a good thing.

A good thing--Could it be that what we anticipate is exactly what we get?  Interesting thought.  If that is the case, I need to set my sights mighty high.  Why would I want to set them low!  If  that is true, then so is this: If you give joy, you will receive joy.  If you inflict pain, you will receive pain.  The choice is yours.  Sounds very simple.  And on some levels, it is.  On other levels, it is so difficult.  We are very complex beings.  We have the power to hold on to hurtful things.  We might even anticipate what another will say or do in a given circimstance.  We know.  We have been there.

But, what if we changed our expectation?  What if we realize that what we want and need comes from within us?  What if we could learn to meet every situation with love?  Would that change us?  Would we realize that others have an expectation of us?  What does that look like to them?

Another expectation today was sitting on an uncomfortable bleacher watching my now 13 year old grandson play basketball.  I anticipated him being successful on the court.  I knew I would see parents of other players, and together we would cheer for our boys.  What a lovely thing.

Right now we are waiting eagerly for something to happen.  That something is Christmas.  We are waiting for the day to arrive when we visit with family.  We are anticipating joy.  We are expecting to be excited as our families open gifts we knew would be just right for them.  We might even attend a Christmas Eve service.  If that is part of our Christmas ritual, we look forward to the beautiful music, the sights and the sounds.  We feel a deep sense of peace from that experience.  It is possible that we leave that service with a renewed sense of who we are in the Creator's plan.  And we are awed.

Whatever you are anticipating,  my prayer for you is that it meet a need within you.  That you realize in all circumstances, you play a role.  Maybe expectations are a bit too high.  Change them.  Make them fit into reality.  Allow yourself to love others in a new way.  Realize that what you give is exactly what you receive.  ( Sometimes I hate that!!:)  And know that I am anticipating you will read these words, and they will make sense!!:)

Wednesday's word.  Let's make it two words.  How about unconditional love?  That is a huge topic.  One we probably all struggle with at times.  Easy to say--difficult to do.  At some point when you are ready to share, I would love to know if any of the words have meant anything to you.  You can facebook me or email me.  sondra.wisdom@yahoo.com.

I anticipate our next visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment